Friday, October 23, 2009

A Better Day

Sunshine! Yesterday was miserable, dark, cold and wet. Tomorrow promises be be very nasty. So I will revel in the sun today and be content.

The Jeep is still not completely repaired. As they rewire, more things are found to be fried. More parts are needed. The Jeep must have been sitting in the garage, sending current to things and burning up the connections. Quietly. All on it's own. Until the battery died.

I made applesauce and sweet potato veggie burgers yesterday. I made roasted butternut squash on Tuesday. I have chard from the garden, washed, and chopped and ready to saute. I have a gallon sized bag filled with carrots from my garden. The fridge is STUFFED with food. Leftover pizza (G's), pasta and even some pork and baked potatoes from yesterday. I just wish we were eating this stuff. This happens every once in a while, too much food and no interest in eating any of it. I could make a Bean and Escarole Soup with the chard (in place of the escarole). The chard is bitter. I like soup.

I took the dog to daycare yesterday and stayed in the house doing nothing. Well, I did do some beading on Eyedentity and Passion Flower. I now wish I hadn't backed the pieces. I hate when the stitches show on the back. Watched cooking shows. Started reading a book on Georgia O'Keeffe. Later I watched Survivor, Mad Men and forgotten and stitched five squares and circles. Ate Pistachios.

I was doing some "mental math" before falling asleep. Trying to decide how many little squares with circles I need to make a full size quilt. Or an 60, 75 or 90 inch square. I never use what I make on a bed. I like to hang them as art. So I'm more interested in the hanging shape and size, than the bed it will cover. G suggested I count what I have made. I know it's not enough to make anything but it's always good to countdown to a goal. I have 99. More than I thought. Eleven 15 inch square blocks. If I make a 60 inch square, I have almost three rows. For the 75 inch, I have two rows. And, of course, I have made blocks I don't like. There are always blocks we make for a scrappy quilt that just "stick out" and call attention to themselves. Like the Sesame Street song "which of these things doesn't belong here". If we make enough of these misfit blocks, then it all works. Make a few? Not so much.

Tomorrow I will be carving pumpkins at work with small children. And meeting Deborah for coffee and a conversation later in the afternoon. Disgusting and delightful. We have decided to de-gut the pumpkins before the children arrive. And to serve lots of candy. OMG!

I am now getting dressed and taking Riley for a walk and then driving him to daycare and myself to work. I hope this is the last day I work the afternoon shift--or, at least, the last day I work until 6 or 6:30. Yes, I know I could just leave the dog here, by himself. But he chews his bedding when left alone without enough exercise. And dog beds are expensive to replace.

My bowl today is filled with "too much". I will work toward "just enough".

No comments: