Thursday, October 29, 2009

How I Have Missed YOU!

Let me count the ways! Our Comcast internet has been off for a few days and then our modem refused to reboot, so today is my first day, this week, with any internet connection. I will admit to sitting here, in front of the laptop, just staring. Lost and forlorn.

It's amazing to realize how much a part of each day I spend here typing, reading, searching, checking for messages. Until it's gone. A cautionary tale?

Yesterday, I had lunch with a friend. A local restaurant has moved to a new, larger space in the new buildings at Maine Street Station (we are hoping to have train service someday to Portland and Boston like we had in the "olden days"). The new space is not being used to it's best advantage and the ceilings are high which makes it VERY noisy inside. Crowded, jumbled and noisy. Service was great though and the food is the same as it's always been. Too little for too much money. My personal sized pizza with cheese and sliced tomato was $9.95. (pizzas with more stuff were $13.95) A very small half sandwich with very fresh vegetable ingredients was $5.95. Barely enough food and it looked stingy on the plate. Think what $5.95 would buy at Subway, McDonald's or even at the local sandwich/bakery place. And the seating area wouldn't be all jumbled and loud. Just saying is all. I don't think my town would want me to write restaurant reviews. A new Japanese restaurant opened this past week in the downtown section. The two times I've walked past it had one or two customers seated and a working staff of at least 6 to 8 standing around. I'm guessing it's too expensive. Opening after the tourist season is not the smartest thing to do. Cash flow.

When I wasn't able to post I had so many great ideas for posts. Now that I'm back, I can't remember any of them. Why didn't I write them down?

Top Chef last night was another disappointment. They had two hours to make a vegetarian tasting meal for Natalie Portman and some of her friends. They had postage stamp portions of sliced radishes and smears of pureed vegetables. It would all have fit in a large tablespoon. And one guy couldn't even braise small leeks properly in 2 hours. And others didn't even get all the food they made on the plates. On the Top Chef Masters series, the chefs had to prepare a vegetarian/gluten free menu and they made fantastic food in good sized portions. Bayless even made a mole sauce. Poached leeks with radish slices? For dinner? One chef made polenta and mixed in some bananas. He came in second. The winning recipe was a pile of smoked, sauteed kale. And I think it won because he served up a large pile of it and it was filling and they were all still hungry. Kevin and Michael are the best chefs in the contest. Bryan can be good and he can be awful. I wouldn't eat in any of their restaurants.

I miss Project Runway every week. I couldn't even tell you what day and time it is aired. It is so awful. And, remember, it was the highpoint of my viewing week, for many years.

West Wing is nearing the end (but good news, it is starting over, so I can see the year I missed) and I finally know what Deborah and Helen wanted to tell me. John Spencer died during production. In real life. I had been thinking he died in the story line. But now fiction must follow real life. How sad. And Josh kissed what's her name. Donna. Finally. And Tobey has started talking to Josh again. And CJ is having parts of a dinner with Danny. I don't know if I would have enjoyed watching West Wing when it originally aired, but it has been glorious to watch this summer and fall. I even watched for two hours every morning while in Atlanta. And now I get to see the pilot and the first season. I may even watch the whole thing again. Helen and Dennis have watched it several times. I can watch into the winter.

Today we are driving to Lewiston. G has an eye appointment. He may have the beginnings of macular degeneration. I read that Georgia O'Keeffe developed macular degeneration in the 1970's and continued to paint and do sculpture, using her peripheral vision and the help of an assistant. G doesn't like vegetables so he will refuse to eat the brightly colored vegetables that can slow the progression. Bright red peppers, broccoli, carrots, winter squash, kale and beets. All the things I eat and love.

I had my glasses frames adjusted yesterday. Seriously out of whack. It was a pleasure to stitch my circles and squares last night. I could SEE.

Today I am taking a book to read and my circles with me to the eye doctor. I have to drive us home as G will be having his eyes dilated. The Jeep is finally back to normal. We still have to pick up the "clean up chemicals" to pour over the fluids that leaked in the garage. It's quite smelly. Toxic. And we can't let the dog out through the garage. I would like to visit BJ's while we are in that part of Maine (free 2 month membership) and buy large containers of stuff. But we may not have time and G may not be feeling like doing any shopping.

I bought more apples to make applesauce. And I have more country pork ribs for dinner tonight with baked potatoes and steamed green beans. And Survivor is on and K might call and I can find out if she sold any windows last week. Her new job.

My bowl today is filled with sunshine and golden leaves.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We have just two episodes of West Wing to go before we leave on our trip on Sunday. And no doubt when we get home Dennis will wnat to start all over again :)

Annie said...

I missed you too, Joanne, was wondering where you were. This is weird, we had the same computer problem the week before, Pine Tree Networks had to bring us a new modem.

Good luck to G with the eye appointment.

Take care,

Annie
: )

dee said...

Hey! I'm glad you're back.
I hope G's problem isn't macular degeneration. My late FIL Jim got that in his last years. His whole life was about reading and gardening and it didn't go well when this hit him hard. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I'm with you - I miss the internet and catching up on blogging and email and my own blog if the computer is down. Fortunately that rarely happens here. I love facebook, too. I have many friends from a former job and it's awesome to have those little internet popcorn visits.