Monday, March 17, 2008

Patty O'Furniture Day

My husband used to make funny (to him) nametags for his employees on St Patrick's Day. His favorite was always Patty O'Furniture. No one EVER gets it even when he says it for them.

I got a haircut today and new red nail polish. I feel so pretty! I also made a quick run to the grocery for a piece of corned beef, a cabbage, a rutabaga and some mustard. I had potatoes and carrots in the crisper. Needed the mustard because we like it squirted all over our boiled dinner. My corned beef is simmering away and after 2 hours I will put it into a hot oven to roast while the vegetables cook in the simmering water. Then it will all get served up with some of the stock, butter and the mustard. I mash everything up together on my plate. G likes everything separated on his plate. I think his mother served his food on one of those divided trays-- like a tv dinner. In fact, she probably served him more tv dinners than homemade dinners.

Still can't find an Easter ham that is NOT spiral sliced. I like my ham sliced thin. Thinner than the spiral slicing machine slices ham. I have really good knives and can slice a ham very thin by myself. I must be in the minority. Asparagus was on sale. And lemons.

I worked on cutting new blocks for Ge's quilt this morning. I have to keep in mind that this is her quilt and not mine. And stay out of my fabric closet. I made one fabric choice from my stash and I KNOW everyone will notice it. Polka dots. Ge wouldn't mind. I had to call for assistance. All my traditional quilt books are gone. I gave them to new quilters. So I was at loss as to what size a full size quilt is. I think Ge usually makes them full. And once I know what size I'm aiming for--I'll know how many blocks I need to make. I think it's going to be 24. Right now they are either 18 or 14 inches square depending on whether I use two or three borders around the centers. Cutting neat little squares (2.5 inches and 4.5 inches) was so sweet. Iron, fold, cut, trim, pile. Next up-- sewing them together into little 4 patches. Then into bigger four patches. By then I should know what size they will be, how many I am making, and how I will be doing the border strips. One thing each day.

Riley didn't want to sleep in his crate last night. Whimpering. He was sleeping soundly in the living room on his expensive dogbed before we put him in the crate. No dog bed in his crate since he chewed a bunch of holes in the cover and started pulling the fiberfill out of the liner. And I had left him OUT of the crate when I went out to eat Sunday afternoon (a first). He stayed on his kitchen dog bed. So now he thinks he should be able to sleep "out". He figures things out pretty darn quick!

What's Good Today: New red nail polish. Sunshine. Good dinner cooking on the stove.

What's Not: I put all the collected dog poop bags in a city garbage bag and left it by the garage. Something: squirrels, birds, etc? have torn the bags open. What a mess. G will be very upset when he sees what happened. And we will need to use ANOTHER $1.25 pay to throw bag. My fault.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Patio Furniture. Very funny.

Love the new red piece---especially the number fabric.

Lincoln sleeps on the small couch in the master bedroom, on his back, with his legs sticking up in the air. Geez. Spoiled.