Friday, March 14, 2008

Composted Coffee


I just wish the picture had come out clearer. This sums up the past two days. Too much coffee and a lot of recycling (trash or treasure?). Our UFO auction had a few bright moments but there were a number of things that should have gone right into recycling. I never would have had people BUY old magazines. Darlings, just GIVE them away!!! And two or three things that should have gone for major money were left to the very end and given away for $1 each. A design table. Custom made. For a dollar because they forgot to do it at the beginning.

The things I donated made some money. You just never know with these things. I came home with a yard of cool black and white fabric, a book of Hawaiian quilt patterns (?), and a big, dirty box of poly velvets. The crushed, stretchy kind--my favorites. Mostly dark colors and black. Like my coffee grounds. Have any of you discharged poly velvet? I'm going to try but it may be a disaster. I also was given some polyblend black dressmaker yardage. I wonder if that discharges? I only like black when it has splotches of other colors in an ink blot pattern. Then I adore it. I think I will try to emboss the velvet with one of the Indian wood printing blocks and a steam iron.

I had made an offer of a Program idea for the group--since we haven't had a program in ever so long. Well, instead, I was offered the Program job. And because I am trying to "open up" to new creative things, I said yes. But this isn't really a new thing, since I was Program person years ago for 2 maybe 3 years. Good times. So many complaints. And then so many compliments. Then more complaining. I would roll my eyes and keep moving. I can see why there are no other volunteers. If you are looking for a happy volunteer job -- get the one that involves refreshments. Now the new President who offered me the job has no sense of the "history" here (and she doesn't know ME at all) but I bet she'll be getting a number of phone calls and emails in the next few days. "What were you thinking?" Like I said, Good Times.

Today I walked the dog early. He seemed to think it was a good idea. Then my daughter showed up and we walked at the regular time so Riley must have been able to see into the future or something. He was terrible the second walk. Eating bad things. Jumping. Pulling. The daughter came by because she was hungry and had no food at home. I sent her back to her house with half a loaf of bread, one egg and one egg's worth of Egg Beaters. French Toast To Be.

I had bread and cheese for supper. Vegetable Sushi for lunch.

What's Good Today: Started work on a new Red Piece. I have two that are complete. This will make three singles or if I sew them together, one nice sized piece. From when I was angry about the library and all. So over that. Have on a J Crew cashmere pullover in chocolate brown. $5 at Goodwill. Matches my chocolate brown J Jill sailor corduroy pants also from Goodwill. I don't know what I would be wearing if it weren't for Goodwill. Thank you to everyone who recycles their clothing ! Grocery Store sushi. Tried it for the first time today and it was actually good. Surprised me. The trick to good sushi is letting it come to room temperature. Eat it cold from the fridge and it is terrible. Worse that terrible.

What's Not- SNOW tonight into tomorrow. Four letter bad word. New topic: Can't find a nice ham to buy. I don't want spiral sliced or water added or Paula Deen. I want a nice ham. That I can slice myself. Is it too much to ask? I want one just like the one I bought in December. Please.

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

I used Cascade to attempt discharge on silk/rayon velvet and got HOLES. I don't know whether it was the silk or the rayon that got eaten up!