Friday, January 04, 2019

Daily Notes- January 4th


A Pasta Dish from Dorie Greenspan.  Vegetarian.

Watching Dorie make this dish was so interesting.  My internet feed on Food 52 had a video.  Dorie has cute little round lens eye glasses, wears pale colored shirts with the collars up, sweaters and a nice little scarf around her neck--"smartly" knotted.  She has awkward knife skills which I found charming.

Eight ounces of sliced or diced (peeled) winter squash of your choice pan fried in olive oil and 2T of cider vinegar and 1½ teaspoons of honey until the squash "colors".  While this is happening boil 8 ounces of linguine or regular pasta and add ¼ cup of dry cranberries to the pasta pot--to plump up the dry fruit.  Add 2 cups, packed  shredded cabbage to the pan with the squash.  Saute.  Drain the pasta and cranberries-saving ½ cup of cooking water-- and add pasta to the pan with the squash.  Add water to loosen things up.  Sprinkle with toasted walnuts -about a quarter cup--and Parmesan cheese.  Eat.

I love pasta but not with meat.  So another vegetable sauced pasta dish makes my heart sing!  And the interesting seasoning of cider vinegar and honey---Dorie says it makes the flavors "pop!"  I don't happen to have a winter squash or cabbage in the house--so I won't be able to make this until I shop.

G and Riley are going out for their walk.  A short one.  G is "feeling" the results of the slip and fall yesterday.  His shoulder is a bit stiff and his wrist aches a bit.  I offered him the Arnica cream but he said no.

I read straight through Anne Tyler's Clock Dance yesterday.  Starts and ends in Baltimore.  Just the way I like my Tyler books.  Her characters are the kind I wish lived on my street.  Makes me want to read all the Baltimore books again.  So, I made a list.  A good book can be enjoyed more than once.

I did eat my lunch (lots of crunchy peanut butter straight from the jar and an apple) two hours after breakfast and then skipped supper all together.  I was reminded of my babies-- some days they wanted food all morning and then refused anything in the late afternoon and evening.  There must be a biological reason.


No comments: