Saturday, January 19, 2019

Daily Notes- January 19


Thinking ahead to less frozen times.  I have two classes to prepare for.  One is easy enough as I have done Fairy Gardens for years now.  The other--well, I have three textbooks I am going thru.  But those three involve creating healthy biodynamic dirt.  So soil, dirt are on my mind.  How to take a barren landscape and encourage it, revive it, feed it.  I may just tell you about it here.

The oil delivery guy has been here.  Another bill for over $600.  So, I am guessing that heating our home to just barely 64 degrees (61 in the bedroom wing and 48 in the Magic Attic only because there is a bathroom) is going to cost $600 plus each month this Winter.  I am thinking about the souls who don't have $600.

The sun is till shining.  Snow is supposed to begin after midnight tonight and continue all day Sunday. Because we live on the Coast (not on the ocean but close enough-like 20 minutes drive away) we'll see sleet and freezing rain.  Lovely stuff.  Freezing Rain.  Hard to get the doors open and last winter we watched a house burn to the ground because the water in the fire hoses froze solid.  Rather it was snow.

I found a recipe on line for Panera "lookalike" Cream of Broccoli soup.  And--by the chance of whatever--I happen to have all the stuff needed to make it.  Carrots, Broccoli, vegetable stock and cheese.  I always added more carrots to the store bought container of soup.  Because I think it should have more carrots.  I think everything should have more carrots.  The fridge produce drawer magically contained two broccoli stalks.  Still alive and well.  The recipe suggests a bag of frozen broccoli.  Ick.  I like frozen peas and frozen corn but that's it.

G is going to AT&T to add email to my phone.  My daughter reported that he specifically asked for "no email" and therein is the problem.  I need email to send pictures to my computer.  I think there is a way to do it from the phone...but, it's Winter and my brain is hibernating.  I'll seek guidance on the 26th when I am at the greenhouse and all the young employees.  Anna taught me to take pictures.  You should all be thankful for that.  I know I am.


5 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Waiting to hear about dirt. It's where I am in this moment here.

deemallon said...

I’m about twenty minutes from the coast too. We’re expecting freezing rain. Oh well. I love the snow. We heat to 68. You must be hardier than I!

jbettyb said...

We're expecting snow here in Ontario, too, and it feels bitterly cold out with the wind. My tip for broccoli soup (if you have enough freezer space) is to save any broccoli cooking water, and peel and freeze the tough stalk ends until you have enough to augment carrots, onions and some fresh broccoli. I love freezer scrap soup!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Love reading this!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

To jbettyb