Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Today's Breakfast- Zucchini Fritters

Leftover from last night's summer menu of sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  G had French baguette alongside.  I had zucchini fritters.  Then there was steamed corn.  We are lucky to be having a long and delicious supply of fresh, local corn in the markets here in Maine.  Two for a dollar.   It was 5 for a dollar.  The corn in MY garden is growing bigger by the day. We have 19 ears, potentially.  My first time growing corn and I am loving it.  I also can't wait to pull potatoes out of the potato container.
 
The fritters are made from the largest zuke on the counter (12 inches) shredded, mixed with salt and left to drain in the sink, alone, all day, covered in Saran wrap.  Then I mixed in a half grated onion, 2 eggs (I think one is enough), quarter cup of flour (I used real flour since G was going to eat some -- but same amount of soy flour or ONLY ONE Tablespoon of coconut flour sifted over --please sift as it clumps), 1 t garlic powder, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and salt and pepper.  Don't do as I did and make them 1/2 inch thick.  Best, I think, very thin so they get crisp to the center.  Mine were squishy in the center.  (Too many eggs).  And I really squeezed the grated zukes dry in a flour sack towel.

We had perfect bing cherries for dessert while watching the Closer.  G had two bowls.  Only $1.99 a pound right now so I will be buying MORE.

I filled my smaller market basket in the garden yesterday.  More yellow squash.  Lots of cucumbers. I got only three or four terrible ones last summer.  I love eating a fresh picked cucumber.  This is a Good year. The blueberries are coming to an end.  My tomatoes are getting bigger.  Still green but lots of potential for more tomatoes and fresh mozzarella suppers.  The Asian eggplants have lots and lots of flowers.  I haven't seen any baby eggplant yet.  My pepper plants look fantastic and they are loaded with peppers.  Well, the Admirals are and the jalapeños.  The bell peppers are struggling to set fruit.  My soil "heating" system is working.  I have to taste test an Admiral to see if they are sweet or hot.  The shape is more Cubanelle.  The one I picked is green and the peppers are pictured on the plant tag as orange.  So, I have to wait.

Riley just went (with G) and had two shots at the Vet and got weighed.  He has lost TWO POUNDS in three weeks.  For a dog to lose weight is even more ridiculously difficult than it is for ME to lose weight.  So, we made a big fuss over him.  He wanted a treat for doing such a "good job".

I need to finish my coffee and make my yogurt lunch.  I am working till 6 pm.  The sun is shining and if feels like it's going to be a "hot" day.  I went to Goodwill yesterday but couldn't find a linen sleeveless top.  That's what I really wanted.  I couldn't even find a short sleeved linen blouse.  Linen is so breathable that it makes hot days at work feel cool and comfortable.  The employees wearing the green cotton tees are so hot, like I always was in years past.   The tees get stinky over time.  I can bleach the linen shirts.

1 comment:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

what is a potato container and watch put for squirrels. they love corn!