Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday : After Work

I'm tired, the light is gone (bad for photos), my Secret Santa recipient loved her sparkly purple pen and notepaper collection, and today, my Secret Santa gift giver gave me a Hello Kitty Pajama set.  I love it.  Can't wait to wear it.

Christmas (other than the mind numbing carols on the speaker system) is 75% over at work.  We took down the "Christmas Room" where we decorated wreaths and made Holiday Boxes.  It's really just two of the regular greenhouse tables with two extra cement blacks to raise it tall enough for table top work.  All the ribbons, pine cones and miter balls have been counted and packed away.  All the trees and bows that were in front of the entrance doors are also gone--- now the interest point is display centers filled with seed packages.

A coworker has "cellulitis"a scary skin infection.  She has no health insurance.  She went to the walk in clinic yesterday because the red and black bullseye infection just kept getting bigger and the pain (like being burned by a flame) was becoming too much for her.  She has a Walmart $4 prescription for the strongest antibiotic.  Thank goodness for Walmart's $4 prescriptions.  The infection site is now bleeding.  The doctor told her the next 72 hours are going to be a nightmare of pain, fever and diarrhea.  They are hoping it isn't MERSA (or however you spell that).

She thinks the infection was caused or made worse by the Hatha Yoga classes she began.  The yoga you do in a 120 degree room.  She hasn't felt good since her first class.  I think she had the infection already and the twice a week high heat just made it spread like wild fire.  She wishes she had gone to the doctor LAST week.  Now it's a very serious infection and she may need surgery to remove the infected tissue (if the medicine doesn't do it's job), especially if it has gone deep into the muscle.  I am very, very upset by this.  A sweet 25 year old, trying to pay her bills and get by.  I offered her any help she may need.

The Yin and Yang of life is always there isn't it.  Such sweet happiness in getting the perfect gift and the pain of watching someone suffer (in terror).

I am also going to have to work all of next week.  Crap.  But that means I will get holiday pay for Christmas Day.  Yin and Yang.

3 comments:

Terry Grant said...

My mother used to get cellulitis because she had lymph nodes removed from her armpit as part of her breast cancer treatment, so the slightest little injury could easily become infected. It is a VERY scary and life-threatening condition. My mother's doctor told her that untreated it can kill you in 48 hours or less. I am glad your friend is getting treatment. I hope it goes well.

gema said...

If your co-worker has MRSA she shouldn't be at work. It is an antibiotic-resistant bacteria which is passed around via the hands. It normally lives in most healthy adults until the immune system is weakened. It lives in the groin, armpits, nostrils etc.

It has a very high mortality rate.

Be careful.

Carolyn aka Silkquilter said...

I hope your co-worker is responding to her treatment. I also hope that the rest of you remain well. Thinking of you.