Thursday, December 29, 2011

After Christmas Shopping

Since my car needed an oil change (in Portland), G and decided to spend the day there.  We started by dropping the car off at Honda and using their Courtesy Car Service to get a ride over to the new Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  The boyfriend had given us a gift certificate.  The food was good, the serving sizes much smaller than at the Cracker Barrels we always stopped at on road trips to Georgia or Florida. The service was nonexistent.  We had to practically stand up and shout to get a coffee refill.  My breakfast was from the Low Carb section.  Three eggs (over easy) with bacon and sausage.  I brought my own MIM biscuit to eat with the sugar free grape jelly and butter provided. Coffee with cream and Splenda.

I used the remainder of the gift certificate to buy really cute Christmas ornaments.  This way I'll always remember the boyfriend's gift when I decorate the tree.

Honda.  Well, I got oil changed and new winter windshield wipers.  And, I finally bought floor mats.  For some very odd reason, my dad custom ordered a Fit with leather seats and no floor mats.  Unless he removed them and we just didn't find them when we emptied his garage.  Who knows.  The mats should arrive this week or by Tuesday.  $135.  G put some old Jeep mats in the Fit and they move around making me nervous that they will get caught under the gas pedal.  I also had the headlamp switch recall taken care of.  Now I don't have to wonder if the headlights will shut off when I drive in the dark (something I decided not to do anymore).

I also purchased a Coach credit card holder which cost almost as much as the car mats.  Coach gift wrapped the card holder.  Nice box and ribbon.  My first Christmas Gift to myself.

Second gift was a set of four Wustof Classic steak knives.  Twice as much as the card holder.  No gift wrapping offered at William Sonoma.

Third gift was a very nice black sweater jacket at J Jill (new to our mall) which was on sale.  It's very cute. Has an interesting asymmetrical  collar.  Little useless pockets.  They asked if I wanted tissue paper or a bag.  I said I wanted both.

Nothing at Gap or Eddie Bauer or Pottery Barn.  By then I was bored with shopping so I backtracked, looking for G.  He was in the Apple store finalizing his purchase of an iPad2.  He had also gotten some helpful information regarding his new iPhone which he purchased two days before Christmas.  Those two purchases don't even come close to what I spent on the iMac I am using right now, but I wonder when he will find time to use these two items.  When will he be awake long enough?

Fourth purchase was at TJ Maxx.  I purchased a bathing suit.  I think it's awful but it was my size and had a skirt.  At my age and with my saggy skin, I need to cover as much as possible when wearing a bathing suit.  A skirt was necessary.  The shape and style of the suit is perfect.  The fabric they used is horrifying.  Black, fuchsia and this livid green that doesn't exist in nature.  It also came in black, neon yellow and the same terrible green. I decided the fuchsia and the black were receding colors.  Somehow, in the store that made sense to me.  I also got a cherry red double cashmere turtleneck marked down.

Then we drove to Trader Joe's and I bought 8 bottles of that Sicilian red wine I like: Nero d'Avalo.  $4.99 each.  Can't beat TJ's wine prices.  I also bought five ruby red grapefruit and three sugar free dark chocolate bars.

At Whole Foods I got really big beets (to roast), two bunches of red radishes (to eat with salt instead of chips), good cheese (Robusto aged gouda), some zucchini (which was delicious last time I bought it) and a handful of California rhubarb to make a dessert sauce.  I haven't had a dessert all holiday season.  Rhubarb is considered a vegetable so I can eat it.  Also very low carb with all the fiber.  Avocados were 5 for $5.

Late lunch was at On The Border.  I had a skinny margarita (100 calories) and the steak fajitas with sour cream, cheese and avocado.  I brought the handmade flour tortillas home.  They look so delicious.  But I didn't eat any.  I also had a "moment" when I was holding a big bag of Big Sky Granola Chunks at Whole Foods.  I LOVE that stuff.  Once I open the package I can't stop eating it until it's gone.  This was the first time I actually considered going off the diet and eating forbidden food.  It was a close call.  I put the bag down.

Here we are at home now.  I have had a large glass of water (the restaurant food is salty) and a large cup of coffee.  G has walked the dog.  I got my first unemployment claim form in the mail.  I also got a letter almost begging me to apply to go to school for some kind of training.  I would do it, if I had any idea what I wanted to be when I grow up.  But I kinda think it's too late?

2 comments:

Diane N said...

Regarding that last bit - if you're still breathing, it's never too late!

Life Scraps and Patches said...

It's NEVER too late. And there might be free or reduced tuition at state schools for those of us over 60.