Friday, April 22, 2011

Pay Day and Memories of Lemon Meringue Pie

This is what the payday station at work looks like.  Time cards.  Time Clock.  Fire Extinguisher.  Up on top of the Time Clock is the rubber banded set of checks.  Today was payday.  I have my check.

I just wrote about what actually happened today (at work) and because I learn from my mistakes---- I deleted it all.  Instead, I will say that I repotted lots of gift plants for Easter.  Picked lots of dead pansy flowers off plants in flats, had my new favorite lunch- toast with jam.  The toaster at work toasts the bread I bring with me to crackly crispness.  And then I spread today's jam (Apricot) and chewed and chewed and chewed.  I think lots of chewing makes me very satisfied.  A coworker gifted me with a tangerine since he felt toast wasn't the best lunch.  I had a banana, toast and pineapple yogurt.  It was plenty of food.

I think I will try and have toast every Monday and Friday when I work the morning shift which will require planning because I like to use thinly sliced "good" bread for my toast.  Today it was Tuscan Boule.

Poor planning on my part means we are having pizza for dinner.  A very bread centered meal plan for today.  Tomorrow it will be Easter Ham Dinner since I will be working on Easter Sunday.  Au Gratin potatoes and roasted asparagus.

I wish my mother was around to make her fantastic lemon meringue pie.  And, for me to have written that--you can bank on the pie being super wonderful.  You know about me and my late mother.  I have never tried to make that pie.  Cooking the lemon filling and then hoping it doesn't "weep" and beating and topping the pie with egg whites and hoping that doesn't get all rubbery.  It's just too many "items" that can go wrong. My mother made lemon meringue pie for G every single time he was with us on a visit.  Every. Single. Time.  If he didn't come with me and the kids--no pie.  Isn't that something?  Would be nice on Easter.

Tomorrow I am planting red onion starts, separating fennel seedlings, starting seeds.  Riley and I will be outside most of the day.  No walk as his foot needs a good rest.  Then I have shirts to iron again.  When I visit the library to pick up books for G, I will stop and get French Baguettes.  The best baguettes in Maine.  From Standard Bakery in Portland.  For Sunday's ham and cheese sandwiches.

Happy Easter or Passover to all of you!  Don't eat too many chocolate eggs.

1 comment:

Diane N said...

A happy and blessed Easter to you and your family.

Your lemon meringue pie story made me laugh at myself. I have only ever made one in my life. It came out so beautifully that it should have been on the cover of a magazine. Eating it, however, was impossible. I don't know what I did wrong but I know Goodyear would have loved the recipe.