Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Prep In Progress

I made a trip to the library and then the grocery store for last minute ingredients for The Pioneer Woman's Favorite Turkey Brine.  Brown sugar and an orange.  The sage, thyme and rosemary came from my garden.  I skipped the apple juice.  And the picture above is two turkey thighs, a turkey neck, carrots and onions all roasting to a lovely deep brown and going into the stock pot for gravy. The turkey is brining in a bag out on the porch surrounded by ice cubes. The salt and sugar is doing something molecular to the turkey and making it moist and tender.  I brined once before and the turkey was delicious but the gravy was way too salty.  So I am making a separate stock this time.

My pumpkin pie is baked.  I decided we should skip the pumpkin cheesecake since eating lots of dairy isn't a good idea just after food poisoning.  Half the sweet potatoes are baked.  I managed to find and buy 35 nice sized Brussels Sprouts and my daughter wants them roasted this year.  I still have stuffing and acorn squash to prepare and the green bean casserole to assemble.  Yes, we are heavy on vegetable side dishes. We all have a favorite and it's not the same one so I have to make them all.

Dinner is at 5 tomorrow.  Sam is bringing dinner rolls.

G's employees had a birthday cake for him today decorated with tools.  A Handy Man Cake. Because he can fix almost everything at work. Wasn't that nice of them?  He said the cake and buttercream frosting were "very sweet" so he had a very small slice. G was born on Thanksgiving Day, in time for dinner.  Sunday is the actual birthday this year but we always celebrate on Thanksgiving Day.  Never have to wonder what to serve. LOL.

I want to wish each and every one of you a very happy Thanksgiving Day.  I give thanks every day for the thoughtful, kind and generous readers who visit Wednesday's Child.  It may seem silly, but the blog and it's readers are like an extended family or neighborhood for me.  I feel connected to all of you, even the ones who haven't made themselves known to me yet.  I know you're out there reading and that's a very "good thing".  Be safe.  Be warm.  Be happy.

5 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Your dinner sounds wonderful! I have spent a big part of today cleaning out my refrigerator to make room for all the leftovers tomorrow! I am off to the grocery store for the last minutes stuff, then will start cooking. I love Thanksgiving above all other holidays. Have a wonderful day and know that I am thankful to have met you by way of the blog world!

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Your dinner preparations sound awesome. I think I'll wait 'til tomorrow to start the things I'm making - mac 'n cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, cranberry relish.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Jeannie said...

Wishing you a beautiful Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing your world. You are an amazing, creative woman. Cheers.

April said...

Have a super Thanksgiving. I read your blog religiously and always enjoy it! Will the pup get a special treat for Thanksgiving?

April

kathy said...

I'm glad your feeling well enough to enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner. What a big bump in the road that must have been!