Friday, November 19, 2010

Final Four Line Experiments

Of the black gesso page.  The crow didn't come out as I had wanted so I will probably try again on a different paper.  I added paper collage to the last square with "gone".  And the light wasn't as good this time.  Isn't it odd that the sun makes it more difficult to take a photo?  The sun is shining today.  And the sun came out on Wednesday, just in time for Riley's walk.  So we walked.

This morning I have to make soup for my lunch.  I have been meaning to make soup every day this week and here it is Friday.  No soup.  So Riley and I went out into the now frozen garden and cut some kale and I am now making the Tomato Kale soup from Love Soup.  Everything is bubbling away in the big pot and the onions and garlic are "coloring" in a small frying pan.  I haven't even had breakfast yet. I now have my first cup of coffee by my right hand.

G and I went for barbeque last night.  Beale Street in Bath.  It was very good.  I had beef brisket with two sides of cole slaw and no corn bread.  I also had a Margarita.  Things are bad at work.  Mine, not his.  Though he is struggling to be a "manager" and train his staff and not just wait on customers.

G says it is hard to see that I "like my job" as I don't have much to say that is positive.  I remember, in my first year at the greenhouse, G asking me each evening at dinner to tell him about the best thing that happened that day.  I would have to think hard but  I could usually come up with a "best" thing to talk about eventually.  I don't think I could if he was asking now.  Too many straws on this camel's back.  Too many wrongs and not enough rights.  I did manage to arrange a woody Algerian Ivy around a metal topiary frame for a customer.  It took an hour.  Looked wonderful and got compliments from my coworkers.  BUT.  The customer is a nasty piece of work.  Which sort of cancels out any good vibes I got from the work.  And she blamed me for the death of that plant I repotted in the dark on Saturday evening.  She returned it soaking in water, limp and dying.   That "girl" did this, she said.  Did not.

Soup is tasting good.  Why not have soup for breakfast?  Don't the Japanese eat a soup for breakfast? Something with seaweed.  Or do they eat Egg McMuffins now.

A vegetarian friend was worried about her teenage son not growing.  He was much shorter than his friends and getting depressed about a life of being short (both parents are tall).  Almost 16.  So she encouraged him to start eating meat. He had never eaten meat and found the texture unpleasant.  And then he fell in love with McDonald's. Drives there every day.  And is now a bit taller than his 5 foot 10 mom.  The Chinese and Japanese are now taller because of more protein in a fast food diet.  Changing the world one burger at a time.  We get fat and they get taller and stronger.

I think I will fold the clothes in the dryer, put the washed clothes in the dryer and start a load of dog towels.  And have a bowl of cereal, pack my bowl of hot soup for lunch and go to work.

1 comment:

kathy said...

I love this and the one before! So exciting to see line on dark and your crow is better than you give yourself credit for. All great little vignettes. On another note, it's so hard not to let nasty people eat at you, but just put your 'protective circle' around you (my co-workers used to make fun of me for saying that and it became an office joke). It helped to THINK I was in charge of my feelings though and could do something to protect my vulnerable self.