Friday, September 11, 2009

Prayer for the Dog Who Died Today

A coworker had brought his dog to work today. He thought he had the car windows up far enough but the dog got out of the car. And came inside the building, looking for his person.

Ed is 87 years old. Daisy 10 or 11. She had just been groomed. Ed walked the dog back out front, where I was working, and over to his car. Traffic on the road was heavy. When I looked up, Ed was getting something out of his car trunk or putting something in so I assumed the dog was already in the car.

Then I heard the thunk and saw her body fly across the road and land in the ditch.

I ran into the building, unable to see for the tears running down my face, begging someone to come outside and help. Customers stopped their cars and kept Ed from walking out into the road and getting hit by a car himself. I could have helped Ed, but I knew I couldn't go to the side of the dog. And I think I panicked.

One of my co workers helped Ed cross the road and I watched as he leaned over to touch Daisy. To see if she was still alive. She was. Soon she was lifted onto a tray and driven to the animal hospital about 5 minutes away. Where my sweet Riley was safe at day care.

Daisy died a short time later. Three co workers took Ed and Daisy home and stayed with them for awhile. Because that's the way it should be.

Safe passage, Daisy. We'll watch over Ed, for you.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh Joanne. How could you even manage to write this? I am so sorry. What a sad sad day for all of you.

Annie said...

OMG, what a tragic, sad event! Sorry you had to witness that, and my condolences to Ed for the loss of his pet.

: (

Life Scraps and Patches said...

What a sad, sad story. I'm glad you all are watching over Ed for Daisy.