Thursday, July 31, 2008

Work With An Uncluttered Mind

Oh, the pitfalls of getting involved with Suduko, especially for the numerically challenged. I had the entire first three columns filled and was doing the happy dance and then noticed one mistake. While erasing that number, I noticed there was no where to put the erased number and so we snowballed our way to Suduko Hell. And we are here for life. I don't keep the answer key. Because I would look at it and copy the numbers. I cheat. I admit it and do what I can to NOT cheat. No answer keys. Endless erasing.

A co worker has sold her house (the housing market in my area of Maine has no downside and houses that have been for sale for three years are now selling. Thirty day closings with all cash.) And as a side benefit she is getting rid of clutter. She's putting it in boxes and placing the boxes in my truck. Three boxes so far. YES, I KNOW I SAID I WAS GETTING RID OF STUFF!!!. So quiet down and keep reading.

In the three boxes I found a large bowl just like one I had and gave away and wanted back. Here it is. Not the same bowl but it's twin. And I gave all my Christmas cookie cutters away and now I have a whole new set. Cool. Even the candy cane! Also 16 ounce French glasses. I have the 12 ounce and the 6 ounce and now I have the large ones. Way cool. Everything else is going to Goodwill and I have added two bowls and a few of my things to the mix. I could also send it to work with my daughter and see if her friends need a Bundt pan, strainers, a lemon juicer, an offset frosting spatula, more glasses, large bowls, a food dehydrator and a set of two stainless steel mixing bowls just like the set in my pantry. The Traveling Pantry.

I am thrilled with the big bowl. It's perfect for making bread. I think it's in the King Arthur catalog. Creamy white with pink and blue stripes in a little band around the middle.

Today I had a visit from a blogging friend in Kentucky. S is here visiting relatives and friends and taking a class at Maine Quilts. I announced (to my husband) that I was having a guest today and he quickly began cleaning the bathrooms and vacuuming the carpets. I worked on my 12 by 12 square, prepared lunch and took a shower. Then I went to pick S up and we returned to the house and proceeded to visit in my studio. S even demo- ed a leaf she learned to make in class. S also wanted to see my garden, the shed with the beautiful green door and the "famous" stoop. I don't have much company, so this was quite a treat for me. Thank you, S, for the wonderful visit.

As to my post title. I managed to create a 12 by 12 square with the theme "illumination". I just sat down with a square of dyed cloth and started writing on it with pencil and then pen. I backed it with freezer paper to help with the writing. Then I layered and drew and collaged and finally I have something I really like. My mind was uncluttered. I just kept writing. Anything that came to mind and when I ran out of words I copied the dictionary definition of "illuminate" onto the fabric. It worked and I learned something that will help me in future "blocked" art projects. It was "illuminating".

What's Good Today: Clean house, new (old) bowl, company, meatball subs from Romeo's, rain so we didn't have to water the garden, zucchini from the garden and maybe ice cream later on. Yesterday was my son's 37th birthday. He got a haircut. His hair has been shoulder length or longer for so long, I gave up hoping for a haircut. But he surprised us late yesterday with an email photo of his new, very short hair. An uncluttered head.

1 comment:

gema said...

Hi, just saying hi....we are having wonderful intermittent rains and thunderstorms as I write. We needed it after 6 days of burning hot temperatures. It's nice and cool again inbetween showers.

Sodoku, well I gave all my 3 books to my dd. I am numerically challenged and I could be sewing instead of trying to figure out numbers.

Hope you are back on track to get that 5lbs off. Don't let even an ounce creep back on. 5lbs doesn't make much of a difference in clothes size so it could easily go unnoticed. Be vigilent. I have starved off almost 30lbs since I last commented on your blog. I needed the jump start desperately. It's been over a month since my last fast and I have kept it off. I am trying not to be overwhelmed by the huge amount I have to lose, so I try to think about it in small amounts. Example, losing 5kgs at a time.
I fasted twice this year to get here. I might fast again later in the year. Now I eat homemade vegetable soups daily....no fat, sometimes even for breakfast!!!.
You are my inspiration, I am mad at myself for not having started when you took your journey. Like you said, I had completely forgotten how it feels to walk up the stairs without pain in my knees. I have so much more energy.
Being fat is a vicious circle and I can easily see how many are caught in being overweight and cannot find their way out.