Sunday, July 06, 2008

Age Is Just A Number

How old are you? There's the chronological age (actual/calendar). There's the emotional age (how we act/feel inside). There's the physical age (how we look on the outside and how we act).

I have never been in sync with my actual age. I have always looked younger than I was. And I have never looked, on the outside, the age I feel I am, on the inside. There have been times, in my life, when I felt SO OLD on the inside, while looking very young on the outside. And the opposite has also been true, at times.

Right now I am working along side young adults between 18 and 30. I could be either their parent or grandparent by chronological age. I feel separated from them by experience and not so much by age.

Drinking: I'm "old" enough to know that weekends are not only for drinking. I know I can drink anytime I want. I don't look forward to being "drunk" to be free or to have a good time. I think some of these young people drink because they are depressed, scared of life, lonely.

Work: Working in a greenhouse is not a good "life choice" for a career. Unless you studied horticulture, botany or landscaping. Loading stuff, watering, ringing up the sale--- none of these things will do much to create financial security. For the high school student, college student on summer vacation and retired people, this is a good job. For someone else: not a good choice and I would be scared, also. One missed check and how do they pay the rent, car payment or buy food? Too many of them have no lunch as it is, if not for Subway and pizza.

Joy of Living: These young people are so much fun to be around. They still know how to laugh and have a good time at work. They haven't spent 40 years paying bills, raising children, having arguments with the one they love (or thought they loved), or second guessing decisions they have made.

So how old am I? This year, I think I'm about 40. If I weighed less or had tighter skin, I might be tempted to dress (and act) even younger (shorter, shorts). I love the low cut tunic tops and the tight capri tights with ballerina flats. I love wearing skin tight tee shirts and camo cargo pants. I love being "one of the gang" at work. I love being physically active (still being ABLE to be physically active) and being able to tie my shoe laces without taking a break.

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I don't LOOK 40. I'm 61. And after 6 hours of work, I look every day of 61. I look tired. But at 7:30 in the morning, well, I may even look 40, if you glance my way. Quickly.

So how old are you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Joanne, what an interesting post! On my days off I feel like I am thirty again. That is until the ache from arthritis creeps in..My body is much too old for me! I am only 54 and thanks to a series of health muck ups I think I have the body of a much older woman.My mind feels like thirty, old enough to avoid the mistakes of my twenties but young enough to find life still fresh

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Really interesting stuff, Joanne. Until last year I worked at a college - there's something to be said for being with younger people, seeing the dress, hearing the language, watching them plan their lives. In many ways, I miss that. It kept me young, too. I'm 63, mostly only feel old when I can't remember things. On many days, I feel lucky to have the wisdom that comes with age.

I really enjoy reading your posts. Connie

Unknown said...

I'm not confessing but I will tell you that my husband declared some time ago that inside he was the square root of his chronological age! (He is boffin enought that he can work that out in his head!). Often 'the little boy inside' comes round to play and I kind of like that!