Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fatique

The summer fugue is upon me. All I want to do is close my eyes and drift away into sleep. And it's not depression because there is so much I am happy about right now. It's the heat and humidity. And, in the greenhouses, I can see the end of summer and beginnings of fall and winter already.

Yesterday I made the Summer Soup that was in Soulemama's post #9. Summer yellow squash, carrots and potatoes. I have it chilling in the fridge. It is simple, creamy (I only used 2 T of butter) and bland. I'm not sure I will make the pistou of mint and parsley. But I have both in the garden.

This garden of mine is producing green peppers, summer squash, tomatoes (Red Lightning), eggplant, radishes so far. Cucumbers and zucchini in the next week or so and I hope some of my favorite Sun Gold cherry tomatoes. There are tons of green ones on the dozen or more plants I have in the garden. My leeks, celery, cabbage, beets and carrots are growing. The winter squashes (my favorites) haven't set fruit yet but they are making superb leaves and vines. Delicata and Butternut. My lettuce should be ready to eat soon. The herb garden is lush and I have cut the tarragon back several times already. I think I will buy chervil so I have all the French herbs for French dishes and salad dressing.

I CANNOT think of anything to make for the 12 by 12 Illumination challenge due next week. Not one idea. I may just submit a pure black 12 inch square to testify to my complete lack of inspiration.

Too many mosquitos in our yard so I will work inside the house today. Cleaning floors, bathrooms, straightening up rooms, folding laundry and working my way down to the studio where I will sit and stare at fabric hoping for some flash of "illumination". I don't even have a good book to read.

What's Good: G and I have been having glasses of ice cold beer with our dinner this month. So refreshing with simple foods. The beer we are drinking has been chilling in the fridge for nearly a year. It's been THAT long since we've had any beer to drink. The Proseco has been in there almost as long. I may open that when I make chicken Marsala for G (someday). Not today. It's 10 am. Too early for a nap?

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

I think all the 12 x 12s had a very hard time with this challenge. I started three pieces before I came up with something I really wanted to do. I hope you get a flash of "illumination"--I love that you are doing these challenges along with us.