Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Steadily Going Downhill

I've just checked my Sitemeter stats and in a year's time my readership (lord, doesn't that sound pretentious?) has steadily gone down. I must not be as interesting as I was 12 months ago. I may even be boring myself.

Today I have been trying to do some alterations on my clothes. I took a very nice linen skirt in about 4 inches and re-did the hem. Now it's in the dryer and then it will get a nice press and hopefully look nice enough to wear. I also put waist tucks in a pair of cotton pants. My sewing machine doesn't know how to make clothes. Neither do I.

I have resorted to self-alteration of my clothes because I have just about gotten to the point where my clothes are too big to wear. I can still wash and dry in the dryer to make things shrink up a bit and get a few more weeks out of them--but then there is no turning back as I will have nothing to wear if I gain the weight back. I know, everyone would like to have such a problem. But I'm still only 20% into the needed weight loss. A scary time.

Self Alteration is happening in my artistic life also. It must be in the air. I've read other blogs where women are questioning their dedication to their art. I am questioning what I want to be making. Fabric art. Painting art. Mixed media art. Paper art. Everything is calling to me but I need to listen carefully. And I need to make the commitment to the work. I have been drifting for six months or so and not making anything. I have been thinking. Staring out into the air around me. Waiting for the art to speak to me. (no wonder my readers have left me!)

Perhaps I will have to resort to more workroom cleaning to get the spirit/art to speak. It could be calling to me from under the piles of stuff all over every surface in my work space. So a clean table top. Clean floor. Packed boxes. Clean and the art will come. But first I have to go to work at the library.

4 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

I was thinking you need to add teaching to our list of art activities. I was thinking about your house tutorial a while back and your linbrary class.
You are not boring:)
congratulations on your wieight loss.

Karoda said...

way to go on the weight loss!!!!

i've wondered if the expansion of the AQ blog ring has to do with reduction in stats??? i use to go through the ring 2x a week but now that hardly ever ever happens monthly even with using the notification feature for updates.

Deborah Boschert said...

Karoda is right. I NEVER make it all the way through the ring. In fact, I don't even care to. I have stopped reading many many blogs. I have far fewer favorites than I used to. I am always thrilled to read a post from you! Blog YOUR way.

I was thinking about making an Easter dress for Claire. My sewing machine doesn't know how to make clothes either. Hooray for a healthier body!

I'm cleaning too. I'm throwing away most of my box collection. I always keep unique small boxes... chocolates, jewelry, chinese take-out boxes. Useless. Now I'm getting rid of them.

dee said...

I read you everytime you blog and you are not boring. Everyone has the same blahs...something in the air? water?? whatever, press on. Things will fall into place. Congrats on the weight loss