Sunday, January 14, 2018

Winter Seed Sowing 2018


Winter Seed Starting--Kevin Lee Jacobs

I began the working part of this Sunday, sorting my seed packets.  I usually think "I have no seeds" and sorting through the box assures me that I have plenty of seeds.  The first ones I will be planting are the perennial seeds.    They need cold stratification to break them out of their long sleep.

And I found all the tomato seeds.  I have several that came to me from friends.  I like to grow tomatoes that have a back story of friendship.  And seed sharing.  I also have a package of Julia Child tomato seeds.  Wondering what they might be like.

Next up is seeing how many empty milk jugs I have on hand and how many I will have to beg, borrow or whatever (going thru the recycling containers on my street) to have enough.

Yesterday the Patriots won.  And it was very very cold in the stadium.  But no ice.  The weather guys got it wrong yet again!!!

G and I have a gardening lecture to attend at 2pm--the topic is Basic Principles of Ecological Landscaping.  Meaning plant what works with the ecology of your piece of Earth--and not planting things that don't belong, that spread seeds that suffocate the good plants and plants that need too much of the limit resources we have here in Maine.  Like sun and water.

Then the grocery store.  G needs things.  And I didn't buy any of those things yesterday.  Oh, and I need more bananas.  And maybe things to make nachos for today's football games.

I've made a New Year Resolution.  I will try very hard to NOT comment on blog posts.  The only comments they seem to want (and not delete) are the ones that say "loved this!".

And Connie--I am trying to drink lots more water throughout the day.  Seems to be helping.

3 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

and then there are those who leave comments which are never acknowledged...lol

I thoroughly enjoy reading your daily life missives...you is real nad simply share your life and I like that.

Joanne S said...

Hey, unknown--like your style also!

I gave up checking back to see what someone had to say in reply to my comment.
And I have established friendships with some commenters. So, it can be a good thing.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Yay! for more water. Let's work on that together.