Monday, June 25, 2012

Looking For Solutions

I would like to purchased a julienne peeler so I can make zucchini pasta any time without the stress of the mandolin slicer.  And the worry of slicing my thumb along with the zucchini.  I checked out the selection at Bed and Bath (where I purchased a new toaster oven and another replacement frying pan).  They were Oxo. (not my favorite brand) Which I think is what I have in the picture above.  A borrowed picture.

My garden is doing well.  My peppers look small.  I don't think they enjoy the soil heating properties of the landscape fabric as much as they might.  I am going to go out and fertilize everything today with a booster drench.  Before it rains.  Looks like three or four days of rain in the forecast.  The kind of weather that brings out squash leaf mildew and the early death of cucumber seedlings (the two most asked questions at work).

My beets and carrots are still not emerging.  I am getting impatient.  I may need to re seed.

--I skipped two inviting yard sales this weekend.  I kept saying "I have enough of everything" and drove past.
--I finally shared a meal with my daughter.  Our overheard conversation topics were enjoyed by the couple in the next booth.
--I noticed nearly all the women shopping on Friday were wearing the cutest little summer dresses. They reminded me of the linen and cotton A-line shifts I wore in 1968, at college.  I wish I still had those dresses.  Sleeveless and light.  Pretty prints or solid pastels.  Throw on a cardigan for any cooler weather.
--I finished reading Wolf Hall and am now impatiently waiting for the second book.
--While waiting, I am reading Elizabeth Hand's Generation Loss.  "atmospheric and intense"  It's set in northern Maine.  It's dark, drug filled and about seriously warped people. I have the next of her books on my pile.  Then a romantic adventure story.  Fluff.
--I made a large jar of Mueslii and then put it into the compost bucket.  I need to write a note to myself--on my hand, that I don't eat cereal anymore.  I, and I won't go into detail, obviously, can't digest grains anymore.  Or I never could and just ignored the symptoms.
--G now has a longer list of what he doesn't have.  The end result of about a gazillion blood tests.  We still have no idea what he DOES have.  He seems to have more energy and more interest in doing things, which is nice.
--My hours at work are changing.  Each shift has been shortened by an hour.  We also are down to the bare bones of working employees.  The high school kids were cut loose shortly after they graduated.  The first rough lesson of life.  I was scheduled to lose a full day so others could have their regular hours. I finally said no and stood my ground.  Let them lose a day.  Not me.  I have my day back.
--time to find something to eat for breakfast and start in on my to do list.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have the OXO julienne peeler and I love it! it makes the most beautiful zucchini spaghetti. I like to take several swipes, then turn the zucchini one quarter, then take a few swipes, turn, etc. It makes the best strands on the outside where there are no seeds.