Saturday, May 07, 2011

Working Mother's Day Eve

We could barely squeeze the cash bags into the bigger bank bag today.  The greenhouse looked like it had been ransacked.  A very auspicious beginning to the greenhouse season.  And a great many mothers got lovely living gifts from their children and husbands.  I chose an absolutely gorgeous white orchid for one lucky Mom.  I envied her the gift.  As I did the perfect little basket filled with cellophane, yellow roses and blue campanula.

The day lasted way too long.  I thought it was 1 or 2 when it was only 11.30.  The hours from 3 to 5.30 were endless.  And after work, I did my annual "good deed" and drove a coworker home.  All the way to Land's End.  If I had driven any further I would have been in the Atlantic Ocean.  She has been taking a taxi to and from work ($22 each way) since her ex boyfriend asked for his car back and I thought I would drive her home to save her the $22.  I don't think I will volunteer to do it again. The road surface is pretty bumpy and narrow.  Country roads and drivers going too fast.

I've had my shower and my box of Kraft Mac & Cheese is ready to be cooked.  Then television and a good night's sleep.  I may need an Aleeve for my back.  Happy Mother's Day!!!

2 comments:

Diane N said...

So how was your Mother's Day?

Terry Grant said...

I went out to the garden center on Sunday afternoon to get some flowers for my porch pots and I thought about you and hoped you weren't working on Mothers Day. It was beautiful when we got there and I was filling up my cart with impatiens when the sky opened up and drenched us. My impatiens still look a bit beaten down, but I think they will recover.

I'm sure all the Moms who got flowers appreciate your hard work on Saturday whether they know it was you or not. It would be nice to have a job that makes people happy--most of the time.