Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Friend Of Twelve By Twelve March 2011

Blue/Sage/Brown.  Commercial cottons and silks. Hand painted fabric. Machine pieced and hand appliqued.  Embroidery.  Title: A Great Disappointment.

I like all the parts but they don't play well together.  The stitching in the bottom, brown stripe section is actually sage green even though it looks more like white stitches.  These colors don't occur, naturally, in my fabric stash.  In fact, this piece was made with the smallest handful of fabric, each sliced into strips and pieced to cover the area they cover.  I have just enough blue silk.  I do have quite a bit of the dark brown stripe and perhaps shouldn't have used it at all.  My first mistake was the background divided into even thirds.  In defense of this poor thing, it's better in person.  But isn't everything?

No comments: