Monday, January 17, 2011

Tropical Heat Wave

Don't we wish.  I walked the dog today and it was 16 degrees with a brisk wind.  I had on just about everything I could fit under my Anorak.  I may have to start wearing the gigantic black wool coat just to stay warm.  I like the anorak because of the two front "kangaroo" pockets where I carry dog treats, dog poop bags, my YakTrax for icy conditions, my handkerchief and the house key.  I wonder where I kept all this stuff when I last wore the big giant black wool coat?  Was it before dog? Or did he get fewer treats back then????

In the summer I wear an oil cloth bag on a long strap around my neck and across one shoulder to carry dog supplies. It's small because in the summer I don't need more than treats and bags. I may have to create a dog walking bag --- sort of a doggie messenger bag.  Anyone heard of a pattern for something like this?  It needs to be easy to get into.  I am wearing two pairs of gloves and the treats are the size of a quarter.

Yesterday, because the only "leftover" in the fridge was a large container of cold, dry white rice, I created a "fried rice" for a very late lunch.  I added onion, broccoli and julienned carrots (along with garlic, ginger and soy sauce) to G's.  Mine had less broccoli, more carrot and some celery.  It was good.  We needed some snow peas and/or mushrooms.  I'm really getting the hang of "just making stuff up" when it comes to cooking.  Techniques have just ingrained themselves after all the years of watching cooking shows. Pretty excited about that as I enjoy cooking.  Not shopping.  If I had magic cupboards and fridge/freezer with all the ingredients permanently stocked--I'd be cooking all the time.  I usually am missing one or two things for any recipe.  And I truly dislike driving into Town.

Because yesterday's meal was rather skimpy, we had pizza today.  I actually went to the grocery store and bought dough and mushrooms.  I had everything else at home.  I had artichoke hearts on my pizza because I remembered I had a can in the cupboard.  G had hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, onions and mushrooms.  His cholesterol is 180.  I had onion, artichoke and mushroom.  I miss the pepperoni.

I tried two different inserts in my walking boots today and three kinds of socks.  Either my boots are shrinking or my feet are getting bigger, wider, longer.  I don't know what I am going to do.  I wear these same boots every winter.  I don't have any others.  I can wear heavy wool socks and go without any liner, but that hurts my feet. But tight shoes is somehow much worse.  I don't wear anything that is tight. Remember the under pants?

I have been reading along with the Empress of Dirt (sidebar) who just finished up the Five Day Fast Forward with the new Cinch Diet.  Spinach, raspberries, egg, fat free yogurt, almonds.  Those five things in a scramble, parfait, smoothie and a salad.  No salt.  No sugar.  Five days eating the same five foods.  At the end you have lost your cravings and 4 to 8 pounds of belly fat.  Then you do a looser version for 25 more days.  People must be interested as there was NO SPINACH at the grocery today in my little Town.  I didn't check the frozen raspberry supply.

A little hint I learned on the internet search I did today:  sauteing the 2 cups of spinach with some garlic and hot pepper flakes is a very nice change from the "salad".  You could still add balsamic vinegar and the egg and have a nice warm meal.  A big salad every night, in January, isn't my idea of dinner.

I don't know if I will try this diet.  As I mentioned in another post: I need a "big butt" reducer and if I lost additional belly fat, wouldn't that make my big butt look even bigger???  These are the things on my mind.

1 comment:

~~Melissa said...

Hi Joanne,
You could use kale or any other leafy green as well. Or frozen spinach.//I don't think the diet (or any diet) can really target a fat area: I just happen to have more in gut than the butt (poetry!) so it is going after my belly first.