Monday, June 29, 2009

Rain Destroyed Peonies

I wait all year for June. Blue skies. Warm but not hot. Not too many bugs. Yet. Beautiful Peonies. Not this year. This year the mosquitoes are having a blood fest out in my yard. And it continues to rain. Days and days of dripping, pouring, cold rain. So, June 2009. A complete loss.

I'm sitting in the house, wearing socks and a sweater, and it's almost the 4th of July. I'm thinking of baking some potatoes in the oven just to heat up the kitchen. Take the chill out of the air.

Today I completed a number of tasks that have been on the dreaded "estate" list for 6 months now. I filled out and mailed the annuity documents. I wrote checks and mailed the estate tax forms. I have a contact to call regarding the Ohio home insurance. I went to the bank, the library and the grocery store. I still have a CD to renew by 12 July, my daughter's accounts and the car title to take care of when I have the nerves to face the DMV. And then it will all be DONE. The Ohio bills keep on coming: $180 to mow the grass for June, electricity and we turned on the central air (it's actually hot in Ohio) so the house wouldn't be stuffy or damp if someone wants to visit. Please!!!!

I'm reading a book. 'Serena' by Ron Rash. I've read his other books. They are dismal but the way he uses words, well, I love reading his sentences. I already flipped to the last few pages so I won't have to worry about favorite characters. I now know who lives and dies. It doesn't matter to me. I reread murder mysteries and it doesn't effect the enjoyment when I know how it ends. A good book is a good book. I do have a thriller to read next by Robotham. I really love reading his books. This is his fourth book. Can't wait. And I might skip past Serena and go directly to 'Shatter'.

Tomorrow is Art Club. I plan to bring hand sewing and sit closer and actually join into the conversations. I am going to be more social.

Only two days of work this week. Tuesday and Friday. We were pretty busy on Saturday when I subbed for a coworker. Of course, it was sunny. I spent most of the sunny time out in the perennial yard doing clean up. Got a bit of tan on my legs (I wore shorts). And I had Maine strawberries and sweetened (not) plain yogurt for my lunch. ICK!!! I added lots of honey and vanilla to the sour yogurt and it still tasted sour. I used the last of the plain stuff in my Sunday morning biscuits instead of milk. The biscuits were moist and very tender. Yummy. And I bought the high calorie vanilla yogurt today. I'll just eat less.

My back has it's good moments and it's bad moments. Today's bad event occurred half way into the 3.5 mile walk with the dog. I had a moment there when I wondered how the hell I was going to get back home. Walking is supposed to be excellent for a bad back. So I took a deep breath, extended my steps, tried to loosen up the painful tightness and made it home.

I should be feeling pretty good but I'm feeling kind of down. I think it's the weather and not being able to plant anything in the garden. I still have tomatoes, peppers and beans that need to be in the ground. G is home. Bringing take out from a new place his coworker says is great. I won't be baking any potatoes.

I hope the sun is shining where you are!

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I've tried the plain fat free yogurt. Erm, I don't think so. I added honey, I added vanilla, I added fruit. I think it is an acquired taste. I do the higher calorie versions now.

Deborah Boschert said...

No no no... please don't wish any more shining sun on me. It was over 100 every day last week.

The weather really can affect one's mood.

Sorry it's been rainy. Bummer.