Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pink Peonies

I saved these blooms from the downpour and am enjoying their beauty here in the house. Why is it that the exuberant peony bloom happens during a rainstorm? There is a red peony bud that is open enough to be added to my bouquet today and perhaps tomorrow, a Bowl of Beauty bloom or Krinkled White. Those are the two "named" varieties I purchased last year. I have a feeling the blooms above have "names" but I have long forgotten them. The pink is very, very nice and quite fragrant. Sarah Bernhardt? But it is so full and I don't think Sarah is.

The pink peonies remind me of a LONG, delightful lunch (it ran into dinner it was so long) on the Rhine River in Germany one summer. We were eating, talking and drinking a lovely rose sekt out on the grape vine covered terrace of a lovely old hotel, watching boats glide past on the river. Inside, by the front desk, was a huge vase full of pink, fragrant peonies. That day was perfection. And whenever I see and smell pink peonies, I am taken back to that perfect day.

We had a break in the rain yesterday for a few hours. The Sun. Oh, I had missed it so much.

I got most of the laundry done yesterday and the lasagna was put together and baked. G got home late and we ate our dinner even later. Today is G's day off so we'll see if the rain holds off and we get some gardening in -- or not. The floors got vacuumed yesterday, G dropped a glass on the floor right before dinner, so we got to vacuum then and not today. Riley's beach towels were nice and clean from the washer and dryer so he slept on the floor. Contrary.

I am writing in my journal this morning, finishing a book I began reading yesterday, wanting to fill my stoop planter box with soil less mix and plant my "butterfly" garden of verbena, lavender, phlox, aster, scabiosa and lobelia. I also wanted to paint the planter box with the pint of purple paint I purchased when my son was here. Can't paint wet wood.

My little plants (purple New Guinea Impatiens) in the scavenged hanging baskets are beginning to get "leggy" and starting to send out purple blooms. I will get a photo today if there is enough light. I decided to go with purple (not a color I am comfortable with) as the accent color (fourth color) for my house. I have the Martha Stewart Shortbread on the clapboards and a green that exactly matches the color of rhododendron leaves on the shutters and front door and white on the porch columns and porch trim. The purple will be used in very small doses. A few flowers (hard to find deep purple flowers), a thin stripe, a purple jar or tub full of lime leafed annuals. Just enough. Not too much.

I may buy another 4 pack of the purple impatiens (I found another hanging basket in the pile next to the compost yesterday) when I go into work today to get my check and find out what days I work this coming week. Book Sale Week. Wednesday and Thursday I will be putting in my volunteer time (16 hours) to set up the annual book sale books on the 90 plus tables. I hear we have 50,000 items this year. UGH!

So, if it doesn't rain I will plant beans and replant peppers. If it rains, I will read and make a fabric collage. There's a new Poirot on Masterpiece Theater tonight. Oh, and I will have ice cream. It's summer. Even if I am wearing a flannel shirt and wool socks.

No comments: