Thursday, February 14, 2008

Surface of the Moon

Yesterday we had snow again. And then we had sleet and then we had rain. The rain had nowhere to go after soaking into the snow so the streets filled with water. And then night came to Maine and 26 degrees and now everything is one large sheet of ice. Except where there was snow. Like my back yard. There the snow has cracked, collapsed and turned into an other worldly moonscape. ENOUGH!

Valentine's Day emerges sunny and bright red. Roses from Target. Pretty but with absolutely no fragrance. What's a rose without the scent? $24.

Yesterday afternoon (3:30 to 6:30) G and I shoveled wet, heavy snow off the driveway and sidewalks so they would be prepped for ice overnight. I went through every pair of pants, gloves and socks in my wardrobe plus two coats as I got soaked by the rain. And then we gave up. Too old and tired to continue, we left the space in front of my side of the garage covered with sopping wet snow. I won't be able to navigate the street in my car anyway so it's okay if it's 6 to 7 inches of ice now.

We changed into dry clothes and put the dog in the Jeep and drove to town for our Valentine's dinner (one day early -no crowds). Driving was interesting as there was, at some points, 2 feet of standing water in the road. We arrived only 10 minutes late for our reservation, but since only 4 couples were eating--it was okay.

We had exactly what we had last time we ate there (rack of lamb & beef brisket). Creatures of habit. We did add the pan roasted mussels (wow, were they fresh and delicious), two glasses of Prosecco and the chocolate ganache layer cake with vanilla ice cream. $120. The kahlua brownies I made were way better than the cake. So we should have had dessert at home.

G is getting worried about my lack of "doing something". I tried to think of how I passed the day yesterday and I came up with: ate breakfast, ate lunch, did laundry, shower, posted on my blog. He asked if I had read my book. No. Had I painted? No. Had I done any quilting? No. Had I watched cooking shows? No television at all. So far today: ate breakfast, vacuuming, posting to blog, laundry. Not even 11 am and I'm bored out of my mind already.

With G and the Jeep available I will be able to get to the library to return my books and pick out something new for G to read. He will also be getting his car inspected. And I need to go to the grocery to replenish the packed lunch supplies. G is working the evening shift this weekend so that means I can have whatever I like to eat for supper. No ideas.

Gosh, what a lame post.

2 comments:

gema said...

You both (only 2 people) racked up a bill of $120? Wow!!!
That dinner sounds soooo delicious though,mmmmm. Sounds like you had a good time. Your G is certainly looking out for you. Great!

kathy said...

you know, i've been troubled by 'not doing anything' all day too. I feel like I'm waiting for winter to be over and the outside to come alive again..so my insides can come awake. I walk, eat, read (I am doing that)and make meals with whatever is in the fridge. A trip to the store, or planning a meal feels overwhelming. Are we in the winter doldrums? Today I will make myself go to my fabric and at least tidy it up. Maybe some magic will happen!