Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Politics of Hate

Today's commentary in the New York Times has a piece by a Mr. Fish. The Politics of Hating Hillary. The comments board had lots to say about why people hate Hillary so very much.

My husband and I have a large proportion of these Bill & Hillary Haters in our circle of friends and relatives. When they "go off" on their ugly hate filled rants I just sit and listen and then politely say "I just wish I could vote for Bill for President one more time. I keep a phone handy to call 911 in case they actually have a major stroke or heart attack.

I don't care, yes, I said I don't care, what Bill did or did not do in his personal life. He was a great President. He didn't start any wars just to make his buddies a lot of cash and run up the deficits, he didn't "graduate" from college with C minus (which I think is a D average), he could speak in public and not embarrass everyone who has to listen. And if you think George doesn't lie.......

Hillary. What I really don't understand is WOMEN calling her a bitch or worse. This is the first woman in US history with even a chance of becoming President and women can't support her efforts? Because she's "uppity". Too "smart". Not "nice". Or do you all really believe she is Satan's Handmaiden?

Wait till Obama becomes the candidate. The right will set the dogs on him until someone sets the sight on their rifle on him. All the hype out of Hollywood is setting Obama up as the next great martyr. ( What a story! What a movie!) As much as I truly want CHANGE, I do not see it happening without blood being shed. Not much has changed in the world of hate in the past 40 years.

Please. I am NOT advocating violence. I am just expressing my heartfelt opinion. Before we can CHANGE, we have to stop HATING!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post is true on so many fronts! First they bash Hillary for being a "bitch" then they bash her for being "too sensitive" when she tears up. I also believe in your assessment of Bill - he made an error in his personal life, but damn, was he a good president. Thanks, Dubya, for squandering our money and putting us in the red.

I'm experiencing a similar case on our local quilting front. There are a few of us who are working hard to make a name for ourselves in the art and quilt world, but continue to be bashed by the "older" crowd for being "elitist."

If we are going to put an end to the hate, we as women have got to start supporting each other first instead of pushing us down the stairs at every turn because someone feels insecure in their own world.

Thanks for sharing your truth!

Deborah Boschert said...

Yowza! This election is bringing out the political in everyone. A wonderful post. You are exactly right. If you're finding Hillary haters in Maine, imagine how many I can find in Texas. (A lot!) I'm an Obama-girl, but I think you are correct in predicting serious blood letting from the right if he becomes our nominee. I would also be THRILLED to vote for Hillary if she is the nominee.

His Office, My Studio said...

Very well said and I could not agree more with you.

I have only hated twice in my life and I found it took up way to much of my time so I stopped.

Jeannie said...

If we would all take the energy that we put into hate and direct it towards change imagine what a wonderful world we would create. Thanks for echoing my thoughts.

gema said...

I do soooo agree with everything you have said. Thank you for having the courage and conviction to say it out LOUD. I am not even American but I am in the Obama camp too. Unfortunately, nothing at all has changed since the last 60 years....NAZI-style (Germany) or RIGHT-WING style (USA). This past Sunday has seen a house burning in Ludwigshafen/Germany killing 9 Turkish occupants including a pregnant mother of 3. The third such attack on foreigners in very recent years. Germany still has, in all levels of society and administration, the stench of that history lingering in the air.

Like you, I would however prefer to see Hillary win, not because I know anything about her, but I do not want Barak Obama and/or his family to be slaughtered by those ignorant racist/fascists in the USA.

BUT, maybe things have changed and we, you and I, are probably just still caught up in our own 'history'. Judging from the votes in many States, predominantly white, Mr Obama has done very well indeed.

I also do not understand why American women, in particular, dislike Hillary. In a country where women are major contributors to the economy, why shouldn't a woman be President? Many conservative religious far-right women probably disliked her for her independence etc...unlike others, who contended themselves to 'playing' the wife behind the 'powerful' man role.
We should all hope that Hillary has learned from her mistakes, including poor sense of judgement.

I like Bill for exactly the same reason you mentioned. The world viewed the USA in a completely different way then, as against how others see your country today.

Funny, the same tactics that the NAZIs used in brainwashing the people in Germany, is still being applied and functions in the USA today....

I think some of those same concerns were there too when the Reps. wanted to nominate C.Powell to run for the white house. His family didn't want to lose him. IMO though, C. Powell was tired and getting on in years....who wants an old tired man for President? Down with McCain and Co.

My main concern with both current candidates is the lack of experience both in politics and world affairs. I do understand that without the opportunity at the job, they cannot gain the required experience. They both appear to be just a tad too shallow.

Now if you really want a woman for President, America should look to Condi Rice...LOL..She now has extensive experience, she is female and she is black (so she fulfills the requirements for both needs)and she has hair on her teeth..LOL, but that discussion can be saved for another day!

Goodness me, this is long!