Friday, January 19, 2007

What Do We See?

I was out shoveling snow and saw these remarkable patterns in the ice and snow left on the asphalt surface. They immediately brought to mind the layered dyeing/painting/waxing that so many quilt artists are doing these days. I also was thinking of the technically superior ones out there using Photoshop to put elements like this on paper and fabric and into their work.

I did a bit of artistic work, myself. Putting a lovely herringbone pattern into my snow removal work. It was lovely out there after the snow. I think I put in about one hour of pushing, shoving and lifting to clear the driveway. Good excercise.

This is my favorite pattern on the driveway because of the real darks and of course--the dots. the dots are from the bottom surface of my clogs--- I never wear snow boots-- and the bottom of my clogs have this pattern of dots. This is so nice I may even be tempted to invest in Photoshop Elements to use this in a quilt. Or I'll just enlarge it and paint it freehand.

There is so much out there in nature and the world to see. If we just take the time to LOOK.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I've always been intrigued by the herringbone shoveling pattern you mentioned. I am so happy to see a picture. It's wonderful.

Shelina said...

You are right, it is pretty. You can always come over and put a herringbone pattern in my driveway! I haven't heard of it, but I might just have to try it the next time I shovel.

kathy said...

I've just discovered Beth Powning after finishing her book, 'Home'. I'm smitten and want to immerse myself in her words of our natural world...it makes me feel good inside and also makes me want to make homemade oatmeal bread slathered with jam while I cozy by the fire. That's where I'll be if you need me.