Friday, January 26, 2007

Thank You Everyone!

After my last post, I tied my robe belt securely and marched into my work room and planned to do something. First I took Bev's block off the wall and hung up the Crow Quilt (next picture). Then I took the solid fabric corner squares off Bev's block and pressed and straightened everything and inserted pieced corners. We each got four when we divided Bev's fabric. I think it looks kinda "Ocean Waves". Or is it called "At Sea"?

Then I pressed all the small pieces of fabric I had of Bev's and proceeded to cut half square triangles. I needed 24 to make the flying geese triangles to add to the block "on point". So of course I cut 66. I added two fabrics of my own to the selection. Now I have to sew them all.

Here's my Crow Quilt. Well, 50% of it. I made this in 2002 and just love it. A couple asked if they could "try it out" at their house for the weekend. This is the quilt's third weekend tryout. People LOVE it but this is a very strong quilt and it doesn't "fit" in most homes. I also have ambivilent feelings about selling it. So the price is high. Gallery pricing. Which means double what I normally would ask. So I got the quilt back on Monday evening. And I am happy about that. I don't know if a check would have made me as happy.

I also now have two orders (commissions?) for smaller versions of this quilt. I don't know how I feel about making "versions" of this quilt. I have a feeling what they really are saying is "copies" of this quilt. Things are fun to make the first time, but I'm not very good at production line quilting. I like pieced quilts but I get so bored when faced with making even 24 of the same pieced section, let alone 24 of the same pieced BLOCKS.

Diet Update: I'm looking for clothes to try on that I know were tight or too small last time I wore them. But I think I gave everything away in the last closet purge. I still have a garment bag full of the really small stuff from long ago. It will be months before I can see if any of that fits. Swirly wool circle skirts (custom made) that I adore. Till then I will be happy with using new hooks on my bras. And new holes in my belts. Oh! I can try on the red wool blazer with the shiny gold buttons! Bye.

2 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Love the crow quilt. Think of it as doing a series. Sounds more serious than copies and you are an artist after all.

Shelina said...

The block is lovely. That crow quilt is gorgeous! I can see how you are having trouble letting it go. I too hate making copies or even a series, unless I am making them all at the same time. But a paying customer might make me see things differently.
You can use the same concept and see if you can change it, so it isn't exactly the same as the original.