Sunday, August 30, 2009

Last Ice Cream Cone In 2009

Tomorrow is the last day of August. Then it's September. And we start counting down to my birthday. Yay!!!!. Bravo is having some kind of Georgia O'Keeffe movie on the 15th and Survivor begins on the 17th. I'm making a chart of all the stuff that's happening. And my haircut is on the 3rd. I could even pick out new eyeglass frames this month. That would be amazingly exciting if they were "cool" frames. I'll wait to see how amazing the new haircut is. Or isn't. I should plan on a new and exciting lunch for the month of September. Today is the last day to get an ice cream cone until next year. Butter Pecan or Strawberry?

I'm working on two of the Friend of Twelve by Twelve pieces that I missed the deadline for in June and August. I'm hoping to post them tomorrow. Identity and Passion. They are much different than what I would have made at the time they were due. I like them. I may even remake Water. I'd like to frame all 12 and hang them somewhere. Like a coffee shop or library. It's a thought. The last one is Twelve. Should have seen that coming!!!!

I finished one disc of Season One of Mad Men. In one episode, two women are sitting in the kitchen, in dresses, stockings and heels, smoking. One is pregnant. Their kids, in another part of the house, are getting noisy so Betty calls them in. They are playing "Spaceman". Wearing dry cleaning bags over their heads. Betty says to the 8 year old daughter, "if I find the dry cleaning that was in that bag, on the floor, you are going to be in big trouble young lady". 1959. And we survived! And, of course, no seat belts in the car. Betty sent Don out to get the 8 year old daughter's birthday cake (big party at the house) and Don had been drinking all day (and smoking) so he went and got the cake and drove home but didn't want to go back inside, so he drove off with the cake and never came back home until very late. No birthday cake. Jeez. It brought back cozy memories of my childhood. Don could have made everyone happy by leaving the cake box on the lawn and THEN driving away. I'm always trying to "fix" the things that went wrong.

This is WHY I always baked MY OWN CAKE for my birthday. Even as a child. I was never disappointed that way. A survivor. Mad Men may be too brutal for me. We'll see.

I need to take a shower, finish the laundry, put clean sheets on the bed and figure out something to cook for dinner. G has walked the dog and vacuumed the floor. I have two more discs of Mad Men to watch before Tuesday. Six episodes. And Ice Cream. We have Chinese Dumplings in the freezer to sample for lunch or not. Busy Day. :-)

See you in September!!!

1 comment:

dee said...

It's funny how differently we view a program. Mad Men has generated a fountain of memories from my days working in the cosmetic business and going into Manhattan many times a month as a buyer. Many liquid lunches and ad guys with roaming hands and famous lines(my wife doesn't understand me, etc.)Some of those times were really fun and others make me think I have an angel watching over me since I survived. My family were certifiable so the business and co-workers became my family. For all the wandering hands, sexist remarks, and booze, it remains a time I look back on with humor since anything was better than living at home with the lunatics. I was also 4 sizes smaller...sigh