Monday, July 20, 2009

MidSummer Reboot

Well, as any gardener knows, things don't always grow as planned. My squash are rotting. No beans. My tarragon is four feet high. The lettuce is ready to eat and covered in slugs. I think I will be buying tomatoes this summer. But the sun is shining. And we have blueberries.

Riley is ready to go for his walk. I'm tired. I was called into work yesterday when three people called out sick. Sunday is a slow day at the greenhouse (100 degrees inside) but it went by faster than usual. Then I did the week's groceries -- much simpler since I will be the only one home this week -- and did two loads of laundry, made dinner, ate dinner and then watched Miss Marple.

G got to spent most of Sunday in his favorite spot. The couch. "Reading" which translates to holding a book while sleeping. I'm not sure the dog enjoyed it as much as G did. They were both up early this morning (4:30) so G could be at work by 6.

--I haven't even begun to read the three books I have on the table.
--I have been able to write a page each day in my journal and paste some sort of evocative picture on the left facing page.
--I have been eating fruits and vegetables and drinking plenty of water
-- I want to fill the recycle container for the third week in a row with stuff from the attic. It's a 30 gallon garbage can
--and I want to fill an equal sized black garbage bag with non-recycle things from the attic.
--still haven't found the cute white metal table I bought last year at the greenhouse garage sale
--bought practically dead impatiens for the shed window boxes
--bought a charming off white, decorative use only, vase at this year's greenhouse garage sale and will be scouting the flowers in the attic (silk) for something charming to go inside. I have nothing outside but Japanese beetles.
--I think it's time to have a hand sewing job in my hands whenever I run out of things to do so I can stop eating hummus and carrot sticks.
--I need a list of things to do, to check off as they get done

I wish I knew how to make that line bloggers put over words they have written that no longer apply. Then I could cross things off this list I have just made. But who really cares?

I think that's the real "reboot" needed midsummer. Caring. It gets so hot and we get so tired that we just, simply, do not care. And now that I am using fragrance free laundry detergent--not even clean laundry perks me up. Clean has no smell. I would have thought clean had a smell. So many fragrances in the world and "clean" isn't one of them, even though products all mention having that "clean fragrance". I miss original scent Tide. That smelled "clean" to me.

-- walk the dog

5 comments:

Terry Grant said...

I just learned how to make a crossed out word in blog text. You need to add tags in the html version. -s- before the word, -/s- after. I wondered about how to do this for ages and finally googled and found the instructions.

Interesting. I just found out I cannot use html tags in a comment. So, above, substitute > and < for the hyphens

Paula, the quilter said...

What Terry said. Ditto. O and get this: my word verification is deephoot *lol*

Deborah Boschert said...

I was trying to figure out the crossed out word technique just yesterday. I didn't know how to do it either. Now, I see I can learn from Terry. Of course, next time I have the desire, I will have forgotten.

I think you're about to get a second wind for the rest of summer. I can feel it.

My word verification is "fordigg." That's kind of garden-y.

MariMo said...

Original scent Tide. Funny you mention that. Still sold in MOROCCO! Pronounced TEEDEE - lol

My word verification is rooteek - sounds original to me!!

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I love the picture of the pot and the shoes