Monday, May 04, 2009

Time and Money

I read Rice's blog post about not spending money (Voodoo Cafe) and tried. But I needed gypsum to condition my garden dirt (clay layer) for my new plum tree. And I needed buns for pulled pork sandwiches. And I had to pay for the four herb plants that will die in my garden this year (just like in years past) and the tomato plants that L and I are sharing (Brandywine). And chicken breasts (boneless and skinless) were $1.79 a pound. So I caved. Spent. Bought.

Oh, and the "empty" buzzer went off on the car's gas tank as I was driving back from getting my teeth X-rayed (18 times) so I had to fill the tank. If old friends and family members are reading this and snorting--yes, I did fill the tank. Second time in four weeks. After 32 years of NOT EVER filling a gas tank. G just doesn't have time to do it for me, like he has for 32 years, up till now. I guess the honeymoon is over?

Tomorrow. That's when I will not buy anything. In fact, my sales slip from today is incorrect so I will begin the day with a credit of $7.29 back onto my credit card.

Squirrel Report: Riley has caught and ended the life of his second squirrel. One moment Riley was resting in the freshly de-weeded garden bed with me and next G was yelling "stop". Riley was trying to encourage the squirrel to "play" some more, but alas, it was already done "playing". He caught one Friday (could have been this same squirrel) and G made him release it and let it run back in the woodpile. The learning curve with this dog is something to observe. He is quite intelligent and learns quickly from his mistakes. He even lines up behind trees so the squirrel can't see him clearly. And he walks so very slowly across the lawn, head down, tail straight out. A hunter.

The caretaker I have watching my dad's (my) house in Ohio called last night, late. We talked about the guy who doesn't want to cut the grass. D has another guy in mind. Just in case. We talked about karma. How bad deeds lead to bad things happening. Not for D and I but for someone who has promised to do things at the house and has disappointed both of us. Someone who took an almost new coffeemaker from the pile of my Dad's things meant for the food pantry. As he was driving off with his "stolen" coffee maker, he hit a bump and his muffler and back bumper were torn off the car. Karma.

Today was a better day. People are still tippy toeing around me. And that's okay with me. I don't mind having them staying away. I like solitude. Especially while I tend, count, and re-supply my perennials. Time alone. And the dentist visit was very pleasant. I found the staff chatting with me like I was an old friend of theirs and, in truth, I had never seen any of them before. And at the grocery an older woman came up to me and said "how do I know you?" and I answered, as I always do, "from the library". We talked about my new job and she asked me about her blueberry bushes and I told her what to do with them. Just another day. Oh, and a customer brought me Scarlett runner beans from her garden--for me to plant on my porch trellis. A better day.

No comments: