Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Surrounded By Beauty

I have been rather forlorn lately. But how can I continue feeling this way, when surrounded, as I am, with beauty and happiness? This blooming Clivia would cause any gardener's heart to race and who couldn't melt when greeted by an enthusiastic dog (waggling his tail)?

Two days ago I was stumped with trying to list 50 things that made me happy. The first item I wrote down was: 1. happy the milk for my oatmeal wasn't spoiled (sour).

I am pleased that you liked my chairs. I like them, too, and I loved seeing the other 12. What I loved most was the stories the chairs told. a simple chair. Really, not so simple at all. and that is truly the artist's gift. To take something ordinary and make it say something just by the way you presented it. And why was it that most of the chair seats were pointed to the right? Is it because that's the way we read? from left to right.

I just finished re reading a wonderful book, "Bread Alone" by Judith Ryan Hendricks. I have enjoyed the seemly effortless style of writing this author has and the way the story progresses in a very natural way. Like real life. I have the sequel waiting for me. After walking the dog.

I was pleased to see the President get out of the White House, even briefly, to read to some second graders with Michelle. He must feel so "TRAPPED". I know he wanted the job, but people aren't co operating (and not telling the truth or paying their taxes) and he can't just go for a walk or go visit a good friend down the street.

The Democrats are so delighted to shoot themselves in the foot. Here was a golden opportunity to be THE party and instead they have given the Republicans so much to work with. Such fools. I'm sorry, but every appointee who has taxes owed should resign. Even the ones already confirmed. If I have to pay, they have to pay. And where was the (Republican led) IRS? If I make a mistake on one year's taxes, the IRS audits all my returns just in case I made the same mistake again. Why didn't they audit the new Treasury secretary? Their new boss. Shameful! Really, I am ashamed to be a Democrat. Tim needs to be unemployed.

The crock pot full of pulled pork was excellent. I served it with steamed broccoli and roasted potato chunks. Which leads me to this "tip". The new Reynolds non stick Release foil is excellent to line your baking sheets. The potatoes browned up nicely and didn't stick (slid right off into the serving bowl). Better yet, this is the fourth time I have used the SAME sheet of release foil. I simply wash it, dry it and return it to the baking sheet (which I also wash and dry). Since it's release foil, nothing sticks to it and it cleans up beautifully. Why throw it away? I wash it while it's still on the baking sheet and then remove it to dry flat on the counter top.

Okay, time to dress in every warm item I own, strap the YakTraks on my boots and walk the dog over snow covered, ice covered, streets. And bag any waste my dog deposits on the very tippy top of the highest snow bank he can find. At times the dog leash is stretched straight up over my head. Like I'm walking a dog kite. No wonder my shoulder aches.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Walking a dog kits! What a funny image.

Unknown said...

I am worried - my char pointed to the left - I am doomed always to be the awkward out of step one ? :)

Unknown said...

I, too, line my baking sheets with foil, but usually only when baking sticky, gooey things like sweet potato fries (YUM - have you tried them from Barefoot Contessa BtoB?) I like the idea of reusing the release foil, though. I have two silpats for cookies and regular baked goods.

Cody, my Lab, likes to pee on every sandcastle on the beach (when not in use by others, of course!). :-)