Sunday, February 01, 2009

Friend Of Twelve by Twelve -Chairs

Chairs. Here are the two fabric collage chairs that I made for this challenge. Positive and negative images. I painted the green fabric for the chair on the left and cut it out. Later, I thought about using the leftover fabric image layered over the background.

This chair collage has painted fabric times two. The pink"floral" is commercial fabric over painted and marked with a dye pen.

Here the painted green fabric, negative image of the chair, sits on top of the background and I slipped additional fabric scraps under the painted fabric to add interest to the chair legs. I used parts of the enlarged photocopy of the original paper collage and letters cut from the background fabric used in the first fabric chair collage. This chair is a combination of fabric and paper.

I had fun making these two chairs and I enjoyed painting the fabrics, layering the textures and adding hand stitching. I have "plans" to try this style on a few more still life subjects and would like to make a large (45 by 60) chair to see if it translates to a larger size. I haven't been very successful so far in creating larger versions of small works.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I like the contrasts in your chairs, I'm enjoying just studying them.

Kristin L said...

These remind me of garden chairs with all the green -- ready to pull up a chair and read a good summer book amongst the foliage. :-)

Deborah Boschert said...

I am studying them also. So many great details! I love the color palette and what a lovely pair they make.

gema said...

I wish I could SEE like you do! You have that 'special' gift for creating. Those chairs are truly wonderful.