Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Morning

Bright sunshine.  Riley is out in the snow, watching the squirrels travel in the tree tops, the falling snow giving away their location.  He is hoping one gets careless and travels on the ground.  Hopeful.  We were told the snow would melt by this morning.  Ha Ha. I am Thankful I spent the day shoveling, yesterday.

The Pumpkin Cheesecake has been made, baked and is safely waiting in the fridge, to be covered in whipped cream later this afternoon.  G and I have eaten breakfast and looked at the pile of catalogs we received in the past few days.  I still need to check on the turkey and then go out into my garden to pick sage for the stuffing.  I picked fresh parsley on the afternoon before it snowed.  I have bacon, so will be adding bacon to the roasted brussels sprouts.  I plan to mash cauliflower for my own "low carb mash".  We'll see.  I am Thankful to have food in the fridge and a good meal to look forward to today.

My 14 days of Strict Induction ends today.  No amazing results.  Three measly pounds to show for all the effort I put into staying "clean" as the Atkinteers call it.  I know it's water retention.  But I have no idea what is causing it.  If I did, I would stop doing whatever it is.  I've eaten plenty of food, lots of fat, big salads.  I added kale or spinach to my omelets this week. I had hoped and dreamed of losing 7 pounds (the normal amount most people lose) and thereby getting close enough to my goal weight to keep me enthusiastic about the new way of eating.  Yes, I know, that when you get this close, the body starts refusing to lose weight.  I am Thankful today that I haven't GAINED any weight in 6 months.

Wheat Belly sent me three recipes for the holiday meal.  Pumpkin Pie, Gravy and Stuffing.  Three holiday essentials that are difficult without wheat.  WB subs cauliflower for the bread cubes in the stuffing.  I was going to sub TVP. Terry sent me a link to her Cranberry Salad which can be made with sugar free jello and Splenda.  It includes an orange and an apple which I can't have.  But next time I cook up a batch of cranberries, I will add a box of jello to sweeten it.  Now that my 2 weeks of Induction is over, I can have cooked cranberries and whipped cream for dessert.  I am Thankful for my tiny desserts of sweet/tart stewed cranberries or rhubarb which help me stay on Atkins.

My plans for the day include cooking, working on the Gingerbread House (G will take it to work on Saturday morning), clearing off the dining room table and making it look "festive" for dinner with candles, the good dishes and real silver flatware.  I may starch and iron the linen napkins and fold them into a special shape.  I have a bottle of Italian Prosecco to serve with dinner.  Fizzy wine in Champagne flutes.

Today is one of the very best of Holidays.  Terry said it best on her blog.  It's all about Family.  Not about religion or gifts or anything else.  It's just family sitting down at the table together and eating one of the best meals ever created.  Roast Turkey and the Sides.  And finishing with Pumpkin and whipped cream.  Melody was correct in saying she was wearing her Expandomatic Pants to dinner.

I am Thankful today that my son's first employer out in California still includes C in his family Thanksgiving Dinner (as they have for 18 years now).

I am Thankful that my daughter is having dinner with her boyfriend's family this afternoon.  S was alone for over 12 years and very sad and now she is happy and L's family adore her.

I am Thankful for having G by my side in all the Turkey preparations for the 43rd Thanksgiving together.

I am Thankful we are all in good health, happy in the way we spend our days, have a good dog for company, and the sun is shining.  I am Thankful to have friends out in the blogosphere reading these words and sharing my life.  It's all good.  Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Beautiful. I am thankful I met you out here in Blogland. Have a lovely day.

Diane N said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful to have found your blog and be one of your cyber friends.

Wish I was there to have a piece of pumpkin cheesecake.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I love your phrase "happy in how we spend our days." Happy Thanksgiving.

Carolyn aka Silkquilter said...

Happy Thanksgiving a few days after the main event, although I am thankful for all these things all year long. So every day is Happy Thanksgiving for me. Blessings to you and your family as we enter into a season of chaos (if we let it )