Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Morning


Cold, but sunshine.  My tree has ornaments but the room has poor lighting and I can't get a good picture. Today is my first day without the possibility of going to work.  I had anticipated unbridled joy but instead find myself untethered.  Drifting.  Alone on some new and uncharted venture.  An email suggested a "maybe" art quilt commission which looks both scary and exciting.  I have promised to embark on a "body" of work for next summer's art gallery tryout.  My "hoarding" tendencies must be controlled.  I was thinking of renting a small dumpster for the winter and filling it with the clutter.  I have an unfinished bed quilt to work on as the last piece my departed friend was working on for a grandchild.  All these threads, wiggling loose in my unconscious mind, could tether me to a new kind of work for the winter months.

I feel better about Christmas now that the tree is decorated, the cards mailed and a few ingredients are on the counter coming to room temperature for some holiday cooking and baking.  Later today I will be making Potstickers filled with ground chicken, bok choy, shitake mushrooms and ginger.  Something I have never made on Christmas Eve but I am looking forward to the preparation and the eating.

There are, thankfully, no presents to wrap, no last minute shopping or guests arriving tonight hoping for a good dinner.  Tomorrow, is a different story.

Riley already has one of his presents.  It actually was given to my husband but Riley was immediately interested in owning it.  A simple stuffed duck (Disney) named Pook. A baby toy by the looks of it (my husband loves Donald Duck so is given many duck items by his co workers). Riley has had it with him constantly for two full days now.  If you see Riley, you see Pook.  All Pook's parts are still intact but very well "mouthed".  He still has his bow tie and little hat.  Amazing.

I was going to walk Riley with my walking buddy, but when she called this morning I was still in bed and now it is too late.  I just don't feel like bundling up for the first of a whole winter's walks with Riley. I know we will eventually go out but right now, I just want to sit, rest and be still.

I do want to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.  Having someone reading the words I type here, means a great deal, sometimes a very great deal. Life, here in my head, can often be very lonely.  It's nice to have a thought or idea and be able to sit down and type and then press send and let that idea or thought drift out to whoever is reading.  And every once in awhile get a reply.  Delightful. Thank you for that.  Be warm, be happy, be joyful and eat something delicious!   Merry Christmas!!!!!!

8 comments:

Diane N said...

I have said so before and I will say it again. I look forward to reading your blog each and every day. Sometimes we think alike, sometimes we don't, but I always find it worthy of reading and often very thought provoking. I never find your blog tedious.

I wish you a very nice Christmas, both you and all your family. I wish you time and clarity to sort out all the things you may or may not want to do with your newfound free time.

Mostly I wish there weren't hundreds of miles between us because I would be at your front door with a bowl in my hand (very much like Oliver Twist) saying "More, please" and hoping you would fill it with some of those pot stickers! YUM!

Paula, the quilter said...

Have a Merry Christmas, Joanne.

Terry Grant said...

Have a great Christmas. It sounds like you some interesting work ahead of you. I'm looking forward to reading about, and seeing, the process!

Jan said...

We're often on the same page, Joanne, and sometimes your observations make me laugh out loud. Wishing you and your family a wonderful weekend!
(Those potstickers sound delicious!)

Hand Quilting Nana said...

Merry Christmas. I read your blog every time you post and when you don't i miss it.

I always enjoy it when i agree and when i disagree.

Remember this - you live your life in your head. Scary sometimes isn't it? I believe I got that from you. Could it be?

Linda

Quilterin said...

Merry Christmas, Joanne. I love to read your blog, it is one of the first I check every morning.
We had a lovely Christmas Eve at my sister's and the whole family will meet for lunch at my brother's, and once that is over Christmas starts (holidays till the 10th ;-).

April said...

I read your blog all the time. It is nice to see that I am not the only one with a lot of space in my head and an occasional untethered feeling...

Happy Christmas!

April

gema said...

Happy Holidays to you and your family too and a peaceful New Year!