Sunday, March 29, 2009

When the Voices In Your Head

get too loud, do something with your hands. Paint some papers. Build a sand castle. Bake a cake. Get busy and make something beautiful.

I was reading iHanna this morning and she linked to DaisyYellow and I went there and was impressed with the number of ways I could manipulate paper and paint. So I asked G if we could drive into Portland and shop at the Art Supply. I purchased the list mentioned in the brayer card stock post.

Eight tubes of water soluble Speedball Block Printing Ink and 2 two inch rubber brayers. It cost seventy dollars but I think I will have more than seventy dollars worth of fun with the supplies. I plan to stop at my favorite print shop tomorrow and ask for any card stock trimmings they might have in their wastebaskets.

I just couldn't purchase the Golden Fluid Acrylics. $17 for a small bottle. Not. Going. To. Happen. Especially when I would need 8 bottles or more. Doesn't matter how exceptionally wonderful the color and texture of the paint is and how wonderful it would be to experiment with high quality paint. This is the same reason I have never used oils. Too much money to spend for what is really only an experiment. How do I know I will like it? Perhaps everyone using them has gotten a sample package from the supplier. That's really the only way to get an artist to "want" your product. If it's that expensive.

The greenhouse Open House on Saturday was well attended and my vegetable gardening class was full. We had to add seats and not everyone got a information package. The donuts on the refreshment table were delicious and I ate 2.5 raspberry jelly filled donuts. It was cloudy with misting rain all day and today it's colder with harder rain falling. We sold quite a number of pansy flats and I answered all kinds of questions.

I worked on my Twelve by Twelve "window" challenge piece this morning while G walked the dog. It's a reworked piece I began a while ago using an envelope of blue scraps I got from one of the Frayed Edges. It looked like a window and it looked like the window I had wanted to make. So it is. I think I will add some hand work to the piece because that always makes it better. And bind the edges. Not all of my challenge pieces are completely finished. But it doesn't matter. They have no where to go. I will try Simply Robin's new binding tutorial and see if it's easier to use than the way I have been doing bindings. My corners are always bumpy and lumpy. Ick.

So I'm going down to make something beautiful. You go do the same.

No comments: