Monday, December 01, 2008

Friend of Twelve by Twelve

I had all sorts of "good ideas" but no time to go down to the studio to work on them. So here is what I could accomplish yesterday evening. I had a"number" of fabrics with numbers printed on them and the selvages of other fabrics yielded colorful strips of numbers. I'm not proud of this but I am finished. The gray patterned fabric represents my gray matter (brain) trying to add all these numbers together. In the end: I would guess which is why I added that word to the piece. In the days, weeks, months ahead I may add more items to this collage. As I find them.

I may do a small piece of just numbers from the edges of fabrics. They are polka dots after all.

In school, numbers were like a foreign language to me. I still add by counting out the numbers with the tip of my pencil. Five plus seven? Five and then I count out seven taps (6,7 etc). I'm fond of Suduko because it seems like math but it's actually logic.

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh I just love it. It's clever and a bit sassy. I thought you said you were going to be late?! You beat the Twelves. I'm eager to see what you might add.

Kristin L said...

I like the bold. graphic quality of this. I'd love to see another version with number fabric you've made yourself so that you could play more with balance or make the numbers themselves more meaningful to you. I love the addition of the grey matter!

gema said...

LOVE IT!

Del said...

How reassuring to know there is someone else in the world who does "tap-tap" addition. I have a few basics (like 6X6)and then it is tap-tap. Thanks