Thursday, November 13, 2008

Saving Money

No, Mister Mc G is NOT burying money in the yard. He is digging up the opening to our septic tank so we can save $25. The way I took the picture, it looks like he has lost his head but it's still there. So, if we dig up the dirt over the tank opening, we save $25 and the septic guy doesn't have to do that part of the job. Every business is doing their part to offer discounts these days.

I will be "laid off" in January and February and return to work in March. This is good news for me as I really hate driving in the winter and I have so many loose ends here to take care of; I need some time. I can also claim unemployment. The "biggest" good news is that I will be returning in the spring. I guess I'm not temp anymore. WooHoo!

But right now, we have the big Christmas Open House with cookies and cider on the weekend, poinsettias, decorated trees and winter boxes. The winter boxes are for cemetery decoration. At the greenhouse, the poinsettias are called "points". I have been helping bundle up the greens for sale in five pound bundles. I wanted to tie them up with red ribbon but the other gals said that was a "little too Martha". I have to control my "Martha" wannabe instincts. I did add nice bows to the wrapped boxes under the open house tree. Looks cute.

My cough is still bothering me and my ear canals and throat feel achy. I have been going to bed early, sleeping longer and feeling a bit better each morning. It's a great mood enhancer to spend the day in the greenhouse (when the sun is shining) because it gets nice and warm in there, the dirt smells are comforting and the flowers and greens are all damp and fresh. The only downside is I usually want to find a place to sit down and close my eyes and take a nap. There is NO place to sit in the greenhouse. Hard to nap standing up, though I did have a friend who could fall asleep standing up, holding a wineglass, at cocktail parties. He said he was only "resting his eyes".

G is measuring the attic for insulation. He always tackles some big job when he is out of work and this time is no different. I think the living room (below the attic space) would be much warmer if we insulated the attic. So now we have to see what this will cost and figure it all out. He insulated all the hot water pipes in the basement in the spring and we have used less oil since then heating the domestic water supply. And the water is hotter on delivery.

I started work on another Garden piece. As usual, my first thoughts weren't my best, but I will eventually figure out how to make something that means something and looks good. At the same time. I also have to see if I have any work using African fabrics (a request from a dealer for her website), and investigate a show postcard for my show. My show. Well!

Last night we had baked beans, grilled cheese sandwiches and my homemade zucchini pickles for dinner. Tonight, soup. Chicken noodle for G and escarole and white bean for me. Yesterday I had butternut bisque for lunch. My 18 year old coworker made fun of the "bisque" reference. He said it looked like "soup" to him. I said all soup is soup but not all soup is bisque.

I love working with teenagers. LOVE IT!!!!! Except for their "f****'in" language usage.

2 comments:

gema said...

Go buy some Ascorbic Acid, powder form, it is very cheap and is pure vitamin C. Drink it in juice a couple times a day. You can't overdo Vitamin C.
I drink it before I leave the house to mingle with other people...and feel I give my immune system a big boost. There are adults who won't even cover their noses/mouths when they sneeze or cough....yuck!
When I get home, I drink again after washing my hands and rinsing my mouth.
I was always feeling ill when I returned from the shops etc, as soon as I got out of the supermarket, my throat would start itching......not any more!

We are also contemplating insulating our attic too...funny that you are thinking about it too.
My Dh has been looking at the types of materials available, no conclusion yet though. I can't believe we still have not insulated ours after all these years. He is also finally seeing my wisdom of putting in another oven or fireplace in the open hallway, that way the oven would heat all the rooms upstairs, and downstairs. I'd love a massive clay oven going up to the ceiling, hand build. It is a beautiful oven to look at and to touch.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I just read that if you have a cough, coat the bottom of your feet with Vick's Vaporub at night and then put on socks. It said the soles of the feet absorb oils, and you will sleep like a baby with no coughing.