Sunday, September 21, 2008

Image Free Sunday

So far this blog post has not fared all that well. I have "clicked" too many keys and erased pictures, opened things I have never opened before, canceled things I wanted saved.

I don't even have anything "pithy" to say. I just want to sit here and type and talk to someone, even you, for awhile before getting on with my life of cleaning, laundry, cooking, dog walking and everything I would rather NOT be doing. I would LIKE to have slept longer this morning, read my book out in the sunshine with my coffee and perhaps even moved on to the fabric closet to make a prototype for this month's program "Twenty Squares By Chance". BUT THE DOG HAS ANOTHER AGENDA!

And I am seriously BUMMED. Now that it is almost Fall, I dug my jeans and long pants out of the bottom of the closet and discovered that they no longer fit. My rear end and waist are larger than they were last time I wore these pants (May). Oh, I could possibly get them zipped but I would be afraid of exploding if I had to breath or bend. Sitting would be impossible. I know how this happened.

Up until the 15 of April when I became employed full time, I was walking the dog twice each day for an hour each walk (2.5 miles). I did this so he would get tired and sleep during the day and stop staring at me, something dogs do. Alot. I tried walking the dog after working all day but my knees and feet were not too happy about that. I bought new shoes to help but really it was fatigue in my bones and joints. I was walking all day at work. And because I was working hard at work (duh) I was HUNGRY! I needed a real lunch and not a 300 calorie low fat, small lunch.

So add the "real lunch" to the "not walking the dog two hours a day" and you get a bigger rear end and a thicker waist. The working all day counts for absolutely NOTHING! The odd fact here is that my work pants all still fit just the way they have always fit, even in April and May.

My summer ice cream cones, beer, bacon cheeseburgers, French fries and meatball subs and even one bacon/pepperoni pizza all helped pad my once flat rear end. There was even some pie involved during rhubarb season. All foods I crave when I am exhausted. As I have been most of the five months I have been working.

So now I am having vegetable soup for lunch or supper. I had bread with my soup last week but I feel I must stop eating bread again for a few months. I may still have carrots and hummus to satisfy my need to chew something. I would rather chew crackers, chips or crusty bread. I don't want to return to the "healthy eating plan" (my own invention) with all the counting, weighing and recording of food. But I may have to go backward for a period of weeks and months. Next time I will try on the pants in the closet every two weeks or so. Make sure they fit.

So you can see why I am feeling BUMMED! And now it's getting cold again. And I work in an unheated environment and we are so cold all day (and then we get wet while watering the greenhouse plants). I try to stand out in the sun for a few minutes to warm up and dry off. Everyone at work is wearing long sleeved tees, sweatshirts, sweaters etc. So far I have stayed with a long sleeved tee under my short sleeved work tee with a zip front work sweatshirt jacket. Most days (60 degrees or more forecast) I still wear my work shorts. I'm saving the heavier sweatshirt and my down filled hunting jacket/liner for long pants days. What I really want is a light down vest with pockets. So far, none have been available at any of the thrift stores so I might have to pay full retail for a new one at the local hunting supply store. I also have a used fleece jacket I got at Goodwill. I need some thermal long sleeved tees to complete the winter work ensemble and nice warm socks. Several pairs of nice warm DRY socks each day. And gloves. And a warm hat.

I've been told to stock my truck with a BIG pile of extra clothes and lots of dry socks.

I CAN HARDLY WAIT! Can you just imagine what kind of lunch I will be wanting in November and December????? When the high is like 35 degrees on a really warm day and usually is in the 20's by sunset. A HUGE HOT LUNCH! I don't have to worry about supper. I'll fall asleep long before I even get that cooked.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The good news in the unheated area is that you burn more calories when you are cold, trying to stay warm. I'm looking forward to hot lunches too. I'm tired of summer eating.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Oh, my gosh. Come on down to Kentucky where it's still in the 80's. I think I started back to work around the same time you did - and am feeling your pain - my blood sugar was high this time (for the first time ever) and I think it's because I reach for something sugar-y to get some quick energy.

Libby said...

Joanne, I totally and completely relate to the pants-not-fitting stuff. So I know. :(
BUT - that extra insulation will help keep you warm this winter. Your body is wise to your needs.
One of the warmest things I owned when I worked outside in winter was a thin acrylic turtleneck sweater, layered.
Things are gonna get rough this winter. Please stockpile canned goods and survival necessities. I care about you guys.