Monday, June 23, 2008

All My Yesterdays

So many days speeding by. Just getting the laundry done and food on the table is a BIG deal around here this summer. We had guacamole and chips for dinner one evening with native Maine strawberry shortcake for dessert. Hand whipped cream. Next time. The electric mixer. And then I crock potted some Southern pork butt ribs into Pulled Pork. So good. I had mine on top of a mixed green salad for my favorite Southern BBQ joint meal. Pulled Pork BBQ Salad.

Pork Butt in the Crock Pot

3 to 5 pounds of pork butt or shoulder or southern style ribs sprinkled with some kind of rib rub
2 peeled large onions (add two cloves to each onion if you like the taste)
2 cups boiling water

I usually cook this overnight on Low but was in a hurry (forgot) to turn it from high to low: and it cooked on high for four hours before I cranked it down to low. I used ribs and the meat was falling off the bones in 8 hours. Sometimes with a big chunk of meat it takes awhile to get it to fall apart (12 hours). Help it with the "two fork shred".

Discard all the liquid and the onions. Shred the meat and discard all the fat and bones. Pour a whole bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce over all the meat. Add brown sugar and ketchup if you like it sweet (like me). Let the meat and sauce cook for a few hours. Serve on a bun, piled in the middle of a nice green mixed salad or next to some spicy, salty hot fries and cole slaw.

I plan to mix up a nice raspberry peach cobbler for dessert tonight because I don't want to fuss with making a pie crust for rhubarb custard pie. And we'll be having some pasta for dinner with homemade marinara. Or we could have pasta and BBQ pork.

I will be working three days a week for the rest of the summer. Not getting laid off. Wow.

The booksale set up is Wednesday and Thursday of this week. I have to remember to pack plenty of beverages, bananas and carrot sticks and hummus to keep me going. Last year I forgot food and drink and I wasn't feeling too good as we approached 12 noon. Of course, I'm in fantastic physical condition this summer. Did I mention the muscle definition in my arms? I'm making myself laugh! But I do have muscles.

I will try and post later this week. Always a great book sale disaster story to tell. Maybe more than one this year!!!!!

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Raspberry peach cobbler and the book sale! Summer in Maine. Wonderful.