Friday, April 11, 2008

Raw Edge Applique

Yesterday was another "BIG" day for me. I had another job interview and I was the program presenter at my chapter quilt meeting. The topic was raw edge applique and the project was an art piece to put on the front of a Potluck Tote. A bag to hold a plate, cup, napkin and flatwear so we could stop using so much disposable paper.

My demo project was the above piece. And another one I did "live". There was a bit of grumbling, a lot of inattention, and a small amount of actual participation BUT in the end it was all worth while as two new members said "I always wanted to try this but was too afraid" and they actually made nice pieces! Another said she and her daughter wanted to try a large pictorial piece but had no idea how to proceed and "you told us everything we needed to know". So if I touched the artistic lives of 3 or 4 people last night, I'm happy.

The job interview went well and I begin my new, temporary employment on Monday. I think I will be happy in this new endeavor. It feels right.

Yesterday G installed a "pop-up" greenhouse in the vegetable garden. It's screened and has shelving inside and is just the perfect size for the garden. I can put my orchids out there this summer and harden off my seedlings in a few weeks. I have already re-potted some of my tomato seedlings into deeper pots. I usually re-pot tomatoes 3 or even 4 times (in deeper pots each time) before setting them deeper still in the garden with a handful of Epsom salts.

G straightened out the black plastic row covers on the raised beds and placed rocks around the edges to keep them down. I use heavy black plastic to heat the soil up and further compost the leaves I add in the fall. My little seedlings are getting their second leaves. Can't wait!

Time to walk!

2 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Pretty applique. I love machine applique. It is so gratifying!
Why epsom salts?

gema said...

I love this piece too, so vibrant! Very very nice. Congrats on the new job.

It is still too cold here to do any real gardening so people are cleaning their yards of winter debris, but not me. It has to be warm on my back..lol..
I hope you are buying epsom salts at your garden centre where it is way cheaper than the Pharmacy/drug store.
I have been reading on the internet that epsom salts is very good for baths, well I knew that already but 'am wondering if the one from the garden centre will work as well. It is so expensive here from the Pharmacy and for a good salt bath it has to be many many pounds.
Cheers and happy gardening...envy envy...